[Question] - After latest updates, SQL Service Manager starts up?

ODC

Did we ever get an answer to this question? I have had the same problem for a long time and it has wreaked havoc on my machine!! I am supposed to be running Windows XP SP2, but it seems that Windows NT has taken over! I also have ASPNET, NETframework 1 and 2, not to mention something running in the background called "Sample" that I cannot find anywhere, which I have to end manually by clicking the "end now" box everytime I shut down. :angry:

I have tried to delete it via add/remove programs, but to no avail... can someone please tell me how to get rid of all this crap, keeping in mind that I know precious little about manipulating programs by editing the registry. I have searched the microsoft website for help to uninstall SQL but the only thing I can find is how to use it but I don't WANT to use it -- I want it to go away!!

This is a stand alone computer; no networking; no remote access; no web page building; just me and my little laptop -- the sad part is, I just don't know how to make it that way!! Apparently, I'm the only one in the world who has only one computer in the house without the need nor the desire for any kind of network!

I believe my life would be complete if I could find the solution to this most annoying problem!

Thanks for any helpful suggestions!

Edited by Skye

I believe the SQL server on my machine was installed by Vegas Video and/or Adobe Photoshop Elements 4. After the updates, the SQL Service Manager was placed in my startup folder. Not sure why, or which update did it, but it was easy enough to disable from starting up.

I don't see the other issues you are having.

Since you state you know very little about the registry, the best thing for you to do is download a program called Starter. You can get it here. This program will show you every program that is set to startup with Windows, and let you disable/enable them.