Media Player 10 stopping my automated install

tarquel

Hi all

[gotta be quick - need lunch hehe]

Placing the latest MP10Setup.exe in the SVC-WMP folder slipstreams fine but during the UA XP install, I get a prompt saying whether I want to continue to install it because System Restore is off [its off because windows hasnt finished installing I'd guess].

Any ideas how to get around this?

Cheers

Nath

wnsure that the entry in svcpack.inf for mp10setup.exe is something like this;

"XPCTF106.EXE /Q:A /R:N /c:""SETUP_WM.EXE /Q /R:N /NoPID /DisallowSystemRestore /P:#e"""

The /DisallowSystemRestore should prevent that error message from popping up duting install

I know your gonna laugh but remind me how to extract the svcpack.in_ to a .inf file again ;)

...and then how to put it back how it was i.e. compressed ??

I've not long got up so still abit tired at the moment hehe ;)

Nath

tou can extract it with winrar or any other file compression program :)

to repack open a command prompt where your modified winnt.sif is currently and use makecab winnt.sif to re-compress

And then place the new file in the i386 directory of your UAXP cd :)

Butt please backup your old winnt.sif file before tou start doing any modifications first !

Already tried that....

- extracted the mp10setup.exe

- repacked it with IExpress - using:

SETUP_WM.EXE /Q /R:N /NoPID /DisallowSystemRestore/[code]

- and placed the resulting file in SVC-PRE [runs before hotfixes]

I turned off System Restore on the test machine I'm using and tried it out - works fine - no requesters or anything.

I still got the same error during the UA XP CD install however :(

I'm thinking it must be a hotfix thats being run after the Media player 10 is installed - that does the same popup requester.

All the media player 10 hotfixes documented in the thread http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=31886 seem to be the normal ones so its gonna be tough to work out.

I've said no to the requester and let the install continue to see what hotfix is left at the end.

Cant think off the top of my head how to check a "log" of what happens during the install of xp - surely it would mention the "cancel"ing of the requester I'd have thought in the log.

I should know this answer and this is seriously wasting my time at work but what is the tool i can run on the machine to find out whats missing - or is there some way i can find out the troublesome hotfix?

[u]Update:[/u]

It looks to be the old 891122 hotfix according to the KBxxxxxx txt files :)

I'll try a build without that one and see what happens :D

[u]update2:[/u]

It installed lovely now - just need to install the lan drivers to see what Windows Update reports :)

Cheers

Nath

Edited by tarquel