[Question] - Remove Password Never Expires under User

D8TA

Is there a way to uncheck the password never expires checkbox under a user account? I have several field agents and when the image was created the check box was checked. Now I am trying to enforce some security and have the password expire but cannot get the check box unchecked. I tried using RegShot to see what registry keys were modified but that doesn't seem to work either because it was the security key which is unique to each user. Has anyone accomplished how to do this and could you shed some light on the matter for me. I will need to deploy this via CD to the users but don't know what else to try or do to remove the check box and start having the passwords expire.

Thanks!

Thanks!

I don't think this will work because the accounts are different for each notebook. Is there a way to poll the logged in user and run this exe file? I cannot rely on the user to run this file.

You're sending this to them on CD for them to apply security options, correct?

All you need to do is run this as part of the process:

NETUSER %USERNAME% /pwnexp:n

Also, if you want to setup some local "group policy" type settings you can run GPEDIT.MSC on one of your machines. Then grab the *.pol files from %SystemRoot%\system32\GroupPolicy\. Now just have your update process replace the ones on the local machine. After the files are overwritten include a command to run gpupdate /force to enforce the settings immediately. A lot of what you've probably already figured out how to do in the registry can be controlled by these settings...and the good thing about using the *.pol files is that even if they change the registry value the policy settings will change them right back.

Oh...BTW, none of this will work unless they have local admin rights (something they really shouldn't have).

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

• 4 years later...

I know I am resurrecting an old thread, but I cannot find netuser.exe anywhere on the web anymore, and it's exactly what I need. Can anyone link me to a working version or link or upload one for me? That would be awesome, thanks in advance!