My Documents

I want to be able to change My Documents from pointing to local pc to point to a network drive with the username. The current share drive is \\bladata1\users$\%UserName% how can I make the change permanent for the UA DVD. This way when a user clicks on My Documents it automatically takes them to the Target: \\bladata1\users$\%UserName% (user name of course being the current user) folder. I know how to change once I am logged on but I want the change to take in affect as part of the installation. I have been looking but I can't find. I thought i might find it on the Microsoft Office 2003 Custom Installation Wizard but it doesn't seem to be there and I guess it make sense not to be there since I "think" thats part of the OS. If someone can point me to the proper place then I can try and figure out.

Thanks.

I'm not sure at what point the My Documents folder is created, and I don't see any reference to it in winnt.sif or anywhere else, so my guess is that you'll have to import a registry key to change the target.

What i would do is run regshot with the folder at it's default location, and then again after you move it, and see what changed. Then you can make a .reg file with the keys you need and import them during your install.

First, set everything the way you want it then you need to check those two location in your registry:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders]
"Desktop"=
"Favorites"=
"Personal"=
"My Pictures"=
"My Music"=
"My Video"=

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders]
"Desktop"=hex
"Favorites"=hex
"Personal"=hex
"My Pictures"=hex

Export those key, and everything should be ok

EDIT: Why not setting this in a GPO? That would be so much easier!

Edited by jfmartel

Jfmartel I take it you mean by GPO is group policy? Let me know if that's what you mean. If not please explain.

Thanks for your help.

Jfmartel I take it you mean by GPO is group policy? Let me know if that's what you mean. If not please explain.

Thanks for your help.

I'm not sure if you're trying to set the default user profiles to a network drive or make network drive connection upon logon. The first can be done with an unattend file but the rest I'm not sure of. It sounds like something where you should stick to using the user management console.