x64-ntoskrnk and visual studio

ripken204

i received a visual studio 2005 trial and am hoping to use it to edit a bunch of my windows 64bit files such as the boot screen. does anyone have any experience with this? when i use VS to open my ntoskrnl.exe file and look at resource 1, is is all black, alot of the resources are black but the other half contain images, im not exactly sure what to do here.

another problem

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="test1" /fastdetect /KERNEL=ntoskrnl2.exe

i type that in to my boot.ini hoping to be able to test ntoskrnl2.exe which is an exact copy of the original. and when i go to boot from it, i get an error saying that it cant find ntoskrnl.exe

why is it looking for ntoskrnl.exe if i told it to be ntoskrnl2.exe ?

i mean the "ntoskrnl2.exe" let it be some boot1.exe

or some other 8.3 name

Edit::

Its true the kernel name must be 8.3 format

Sysinternals Boot.ini information page

Look at the /KERNEL or /HAL section

Copy the checked versions of the kernel images from the checked build CD to your \Windows\System32 directory, giving the images different names than the default. For example, if you're on a uniprocessor, copy Ntoskrnl.exe to Ntoschk.exe and Ntkrnlpa.exe to Ntoschkpa.exe. If you're on a multiprocessor, copy Ntkrnlmp.exe to Ntoschk.exe and Ntkrpamp.exe to Ntoschkpa.exe. The kernel filename must be an 8.3-style short name.
Edited by Innocent Devil