Only the right drivers

Gerben

I use 1 image a standard configuration for different laptops. So they each need different drivers.

Ive added a couple of drivers in my $oem$\$1\Drivers\ directory

And ive noticed that those drivers get copied to each of the clients. Is there a way for windows to only copy drivers that it needs?

Because there are around 5 different configurations and I dont want all the drivers copied to the clients.

What's actually happening is that the drivers are being copied to the hard drive so that they're available during the PnP enumeration phase of setup. At that time, there is no network connectivity, so the drivers have to be on the hard disk in order to be available. Since there is no way for setup to know what drivers are necessary until it actually does the device detection.. it's cart before the horse scenario.

Just because you're copying all of the drivers to the hard disk doesn't mean they have to stay there. After setup has completed, you can always delete the subdirectories that they're in. Whether you do this manually or through batch/script is up to you.

And yes you would need to make a seperate image for each model of laptop if it's absolutely necessary that other drivers do not get copied over.