Office Reducers

crystalxp

HI THERE :hello: .. I have a small Q. it may sound strange but believe me i've almost complete my project for unattended xp-sp2 windows which include 40 updates 20 add-ons and office 2003 integated and reduced....so the cd ISO is ready to take off ... now the only thing that is holding me back is the office final go (code) ..

i would like to palce it in the RunOnce option of n-lite as shown below ..my .MST is located in the same directory of office .msi

D:\xpcd\$OEM$\$1\install\Applications\Office2003

so how can i do that? and what would be the proper code that goes in there?

thank you..

Edited by crystalxp

I tried that method before, but it didn't really work out for me. If you realy want to make smth good try to use the runonceex.cmd methode. Perhaps you don't like it very much I dont know.

Any way you need to have te right code to call your *.mst file. How do you do that? Well I explained this before on the forum. And I see you have already read that. So you are posting double. (what a sin :P)

I advise you not to use the nlite methode. It is good, but it is in a way the same of making your own runonceex.cmd file. The file which is made by nlite is perhaps good. But you can't touch it.

So try this method. For extra help I can refer you also to another help I gave to someone. so look once there http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&sho...ndpost&p=459708

on this place I explain how the runonceex.cmd works and how to use it.

If there are questions, ask me. :)

Jonathan

Edited by jonathan_314

AL right jonathan
:thumbup see I told you...you are just so great with people.. and that only shows the simplicity and generosity inside of you....

Everyone has to start from somewhere, and I must admit that I can't even understand half of what's posted on these forums in the documentation provided. I learn by tinkering and seeing what works.

Smaller steps are sometimes required. Most of the information in the tutorials is well written and comprehensive, but they often try to accomplish too much too fast while providing no information about why it works. Information overload, if you will.

I dunno about others, but I am an experiential learner. I have to have a hands-on project which I am motivated to succeed with and apply the theoretical knowledge towards. I learn best from "doing" and from lurking in threads where others are discussing their problem solving processes and often those kinds of threads are one where the new information you gleaned was not related to the original title of the thread and you happened to stumble upon it by good luck rather than by good googling abilities.

Alone we might not know everything, but together we all know a lot. But that's often a spontaneous collective process and search engines aren't quite intuitive enough to unearth that kind of shared information for us on demand. Yanno how it is when you really really need something and you just can't remember where you saw it last? LOL

SO, thanx for your respond .. and two more Q's what would be the best tool to test my ISO ? and what are the other alternative softwares for n-lite ?

Hehe,

Thank you for those nice words. Sometimes there is too much info in one line of text. I am an Industrial Engineer for Industrial design and I had once a class "how to explain something to someone who doesn't know your product yet". In fact the "designer" knows everything about his product and in his head everything is clear. But for the user it is sometimes the first time that he hears the info. The designer sometimes forgets to tell the user everything (coz in his head everything is clear yet). So the user trows the product or machine away and doesn't use it. The product is good, but the user can't use it. So that is why I am trained to prevent that. (If later I want to design and sell my stuff it must better be good, or I will be a poor guy at the end ;) )

Your answer to the question,

To test I use VMware, you have also something from microsoft but it isn't that good. Yup normally you will have to pay for VMware. But I guess you know that there are other ways to get VMware, if you think it is good you can always buy it. (I hope I don't get banned on the forum by saying this ;) )

How to use VMware look here, it's a perfect guide, just like I like it:

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/20/

Only one note about this guide: it says that you have to select windows 2000 as operating system. Well this is not good. If you use XP, you select XP. (The makers of VMware know what they do ;))

Alternatives for n-lite. Hmm, I don't really know. I always use Nlite. Nlite is a tool that has the most features to change. Perhaps there is something beter, but I don't really think so.

I use Nlite to do the basic things like removing components, add some small tweaks (like the visual theme thing), add SP2 and hotfixes, make the install to work unattended (that is in fact just changing the winnt.sif file, so I know where to look if something goes wrong with that).

But for example runonceex.cmd, I do it myself. Also other register tweaks, I do them myself. Nlite is really good, but some things you just can't touch them. And if I see that those untouchable things don't work in Nlite then I can't fix them, because I dont know what Nlite did. Then I look on this forum what I did wrong, or if I can't find it I look for a way arround my problem.

In fact this is no help, but just how I do things. If you find something more powerfull then Nlite, then let me know.

Greetings

Jonathan ;)

Edited by jonathan_314

Well, if every human can be as good as you are …existence will be heaven , we all busy but not all of us are smart and kind of sharing knowledge ..some assume ..some others behave like that they are God gift to earth for the little knowledge they got…and too many always in rush of doing things and because they already know so (never mind) if some one else needs to learn……

Anyway I personally think it’s just goes back to picture and interpret where they come from not how much knowledge they got.

Back to our subject I have the VMware downloaded and installed already in my system the problem is I cant run I keep getting a note like "a new software released and this one is expired" even after I had the code inserted??? The version I 'm using is 5 beta build 10737. and the new release is 80mb wow I cant do that on a dial-up.

Any suggestions?

:)

Edited by crystalxp

I have send you a personal message about it ;) I hope it works, but am not really sure.

Edit: I found a second sollution, but I never tried it

Latest Version: 1.0.1 | 12/20/2005 | Build 19317

http://www.vmware.com/download/player/

more about it in your personal message box.

It is 27Mb still big for you, but allready smaller then 80 Mb ;)

Edited by jonathan_314

Thanx Jonathan I got your memos and I assume you got mine ... but here what would be the deffrence between the two.. I mean look 25mb and the other 84mb :huh: .. i don't get it

would they do the same job? :blink:

Warm greeting,

Nabeel B)

Edited by crystalxp

Hey Nabeel

Nono, they don't do the same job. It would be nice if they did but they don't.

The first one is the one 84 mb. This one is able to set up a virtual world. And he is also able to run this virtual world. The setup is a whole preparation proces, and it makes soms "special" preparation files on your pc.

The second one is 27 mb. It is just the player. So it can only read or run the environment. So the environment has to be made before. With making an environment I mean: creating a virtual system. So just setting harddiskspace, showing the virtual cd player, making a virtual bios system,... I don't mean setting up xp. That is when you RUN the environment (so installing xp is afther the creation fase ).

So you normally you are nothing with this player, coz it can only do fase 2. So you would need the 84 mb version to make first such an environment. Then whith the player you would be able to run it and to install win xp with your cd.

The link I have send you in a PM, is the way how to create the environment without having the 84mb version. I never did this, but on this site, they show you what to do. Afther creating it, you can run it with your Player (27mb thing) and thats it.

I don't know if it is complex to build this world manual, I have seen that you also have to download some small tools. But I think that you will have to download less then 84 mb. It is possible that by using this way all your efforts will lead to nothing. So it is up to you.

Greetz,

Jonathan B)

Edited by jonathan_314

Ok in the mean time I'm trying to use Microsoft Virtual PC... well with the first ISO it went fine but when I tried to edit that for a seconded ISO it wont do it I keep getting this error: :angry:

Disk formatted with WinImage 4.00 © 1993-97 Gilles Vollant

Bootsector from C.H. Hochst„tter

No Systemdisk. Booting from harddisk

Cannot load from harddisk.

Insert Systemdisk and press any key.

CLUES?? :}

cheer :)

I don't know if it is complex to build this world manual, I have seen that you also have to download some small tools. But I think that you will have to download less then 84 mb. It is possible that by using this way all your efforts will lead to nothing. So it is up to you.

I did checked that already it's not that hard to do, the only bad factor is the small tools here are about 300mb :lol::wacko::w00t: so forget it i'll wait untill my download is over.....

hahahaha :D I found the problem shame on me .... it's funny when you forget where you put your sunglasses last.. and after along frustrating search here they are in your face :P ...well my problem solved after I moved the flabby from the drive...I needed it to boot with F6 Intel Sata-Raid driver..

I hate the setting but will comparing to the speed I'm geeting yes It's OK, I got four 74G Raptors on raid0, two for the system with intel chipset, and the other two on Silicon-Image for the database..

Come on girl you missing a lot here start learning about Raid as soon as you can ,because we are talking about some real pc hot speed, imagine that you have more than ten time the speed of your present PC .. add to that when you have 3.8gHZ OVER-CLOCKED to 4.2ghz CPU :thumbup check this:

RAID-0

RAID Level 0 is not redundant, hence does not truly fit the "RAID" acronym. In level 0, data is split across drives, resulting in higher data throughput. Since no redundant information is stored, performance is very good, but the failure of any disk in the array results in data loss. This level is commonly referred to as striping.

RAID-1

RAID Level 1 provides redundancy by writing all data to two or more drives. The performance of a level 1 array tends to be faster on reads and slower on writes compared to a single drive, but if either drive fails, no data is lost. This is a good entry-level redundant system, since only two drives are required; however, since one drive is used to store a duplicate of the data, the cost per megabyte is high. This level is commonly referred to as mirroring.

RAID-2

RAID Level 2, which uses Hamming error correction codes, is intended for use with drives which do not have built-in error detection. All SCSI drives support built-in error detection, so this level is of little use when using SCSI drives.

RAID-3

RAID Level 3 stripes data at a byte level across several drives, with parity stored on one drive. It is otherwise similar to level 4. Byte-level striping requires hardware support for efficient use.

RAID-4

RAID Level 4 stripes data at a block level across several drives, with parity stored on one drive. The parity information allows recovery from the failure of any single drive. The performance of a level 4 array is very good for reads (the same as level 0). Writes, however, require that parity data be updated each time. This slows small random writes, in particular, though large writes or sequential writes are fairly fast. Because only one drive in the array stores redundant data, the cost per megabyte of a level 4 array can be fairly low.

RAID-5

RAID Level 5 is similar to level 4, but distributes parity among the drives. This can speed small writes in multiprocessing systems, since the parity disk does not become a bottleneck. Because parity data must be skipped on each drive during reads, however, the performance for reads tends to be considerably lower than a level 4 array. The cost per megabyte is the same as for level 4.

Summary:

o RAID-0 is the fastest and most efficient array type but offers no fault-tolerance.

o RAID-1 is the array of choice for performance-critical, fault-tolerant environments. In addition, RAID-1 is the only choice for fault-tolerance if no more than two drives are desired.

o RAID-2 is seldom used today since ECC is embedded in almost all modern disk drives.

o RAID-3 can be used in data intensive or single-user environments which access long sequential records to speed up data transfer. However, RAID-3 does not allow multiple I/O operations to be overlapped and requires synchronized-spindle drives in order to avoid performance degradation with short records.

o RAID-4 offers no advantages over RAID-5 and does not support multiple simultaneous write operations.

o RAID-5 is the best choice in multi-user environments which are not write performance sensitive. However, at least three, and more typically five drives are required for RAID-5 arrays.

;) it may cost a little more cash here dependant on your setting but wow it's another world B)