run as service permissions?

akoda

I have an application called Bartender that is commercial software. Bartender basically takes a file prints it on a special printer then renames it. I want this app to run on a server as a service. This server also hosts the print drivers used by the Bartender app.

I have added a user named joe to run this service as. The app runs fine before it is set to run as a service if Joe is only a member of users. If I make Joe a member of the local admin group the application does what it is supposed to do. If I remove Joe from admin group and make him power user tha app fails to print. The app renames the file but the print file never makes it to the print que.

What permission am I missing? I have been adding and deleting all day and haven't got it right. A call to Bartender support didn't help with permissions.

Thanks

Have you made sure that Joe as the "Logon as a service" privilege?

Also, the printer has to be configured as a physical printer on the server. It can't be a network mapped printer because as a service it's not running interactively so the printer would never get mapped.

since the app is running fine and only dieing at the print phase it sounds like the printer is a network one and local to the machine, like memmnoch said, network printers will not work for this service,

This server is also our print server so all printers are added through local ports and Joe has logon as a service permissions. Any other ideas?

Thanks for your replies

Edited by akoda

It goes through a couple of canned software applications. One is called commander that will run as a service a "polls" a folder. When a file drops in to that folder commander is supposed to print it through the Bartender application. This is an application for printing barcode labels.

So to answer you question I do not know what command Bartender is sending to the printer. I just know it works when ran as a local admin as a service and it works as a user or power user when not in run as service mode.

Their tech support thought I was crazy for not wanting to run it under loacal admin and did not know what permission "tweaks" were needed.

Thanks again

Mike

I Found this website while looking for a script to elevate the rights of a user to run a non ntfs designed program. What this scipt does is to automatically enter username / password for a runas command. You select an account with admin rights and about 90% of programs which were giving me hell now are a breeze.

Some advice I can pass on for using this is that if the program uses mapped drives etc, make sure that the two accounts share the same mapping.

http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/xprunas.htm

cheers gordo