[Help] Very Slow Windows XP Shutdown

Perfectionist

Hello there, people!

So there's my problem: recently my PC started shutting down very slowly - takes about four minutes. I really don't know what coaused the problem and how to fix it so here's your place - help me!

My OS is Windows XP SP2, Licenced Edition

My Hardware: Pentium 4 3.2GHrz, 1GB RAM (2x512 Kingston), 128MB ATI Radeon 9600 XT/TVD, Asus Extended motherboard.

This problem occurs to me for the first time, pleace help me :}

There's a registry setting that determines how much time Windows gives a service to quit when a shutdown is requested and obviously if you have a couple services acting up, this can seem very long.

Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control

Modify/Create the Value Name [WaitToKillServiceTimeout] according to the Value Data listed below.

Data Type: REG_SZ [string Value] // Value Name: WaitToKillServiceTimeout

Value Data: [Default = 20,000 (expressed in milliseconds) Modify to preference.]

Exit Registry and Reboot

I prefer to use 6000 for the value (that's 6 seconds). Keep in mind that doesn't mean 6 secs per service in order, this means all at the same time. On slower machines you want this value higher. Considering that buffer flushing takes upto 5secs, I highly insist you don't use a value less than 6 secs.

Original url (I couldn't find my notes so I pasted from here):

http://www.theeldergeek.com/increase_shutd...es_to_close.htm

Edited by travisowens

Note that UPHClean really isn't meant for long-term use - it merely masks a problem driver or process holding the registry open, and it can cause corruption in (albeit rare) instances. You should use UPHClean to DETERMINE what is causing the registry to be held open, not as a fix in and of itself. That's why it logs what it had to kill to get the machine shut down - so you can fix it :).

Note that UPHClean really isn't meant for long-term use - it merely masks a problem driver or process holding the registry open, and it can cause corruption in (albeit rare) instances. You should use UPHClean to DETERMINE what is causing the registry to be held open, not as a fix in and of itself. That's why it logs what it had to kill to get the machine shut down - so you can fix it :).

OK, I can see your point of view. In our case we were running Symantec AV 10.0 which caused logging off to take close to 3 minutes. Our users were less than happy. We were able to install uphclean via msi & group policy. It was truly awesome. Once installed, log offs were instant. SAV 10.0.1 fixed the slow log off problems.

-John

But it's probably better than holding down the power button or pressing the reset button, because as long as Windows was shut down by using the shutdown menu option or the shutdown

Power outages and Windows crashes are the problems that are the most likely to cause Windows corruption.

With the exception that on some PCs, even when shut down properly have HDD corruption. That's because the fact that not all data in the hardware HDD cache was written to the platter!

command at the command prompt, file system changes will be fully written to the HDD, AFAIK.