Systems That Can Be Reached Through Terminal Server

chbrules

I'm currently interested in setting up a terminal server on a windows 2003 standard edition dedicated server system. I have multiple Windows XP systems on the local network which I would like to reach at any time (assuming they're all left on). Would terminal server be able to do this to client workstations on the network? I will be connecting through a NAT router across a DSL line remotely with the proper port forwarded to the terminal server.

If so, what requirements are necissary to have this operational? Must the systems be a part of a windows active directory domain or can they just be configured locally for incoming remote desktop connections and then have the terminal server go that way? Preferably not having a domain would be best, if it can be helped. Would I need to add all the systems I wish terminal server to be able to access to a list of sorts in the terminal server managment application somewhere? Thank you!

All you really need to do here is enable terminal services on your server 2003 box and forward port 3389 to the 2k3 box

Then ensure the allow remote desktop connection on the windows xp workstations and make sure the administrator account(or the account you will be accessing it with) has a password.

Doing it this way means you have to log in to the W2k3 machine remotely then from the w2k3, log into the xp clients. The desktop refresh will be slow because you are actually going through 2 machines but it is still workable depending on your speed.

It would be faster if you setup VPN. Then you could RDP directly into the workstations without having to first go through the 2003 box. :)

And no, a domain is not required. It'll make things easier as far as user management and group policies, but it's not required for Terminal Services / Remote Desktop.