[Question]Can i Bypass Memory Lockout or something...

BlueMe

Please see this screenshot

..as you can see, i have a lot of opened apps. and windows and enough free memory, but windows refuses to open some more.. if i try to open more it doesn't display nothing..at this stage evrething runs very smooth, winamp playing, some downloads in progress and even the skinnable app. on the right side .. i mean Windows it's not busy doing something.. so it sould let me open more. i've read somewhere about some memory tweaks

AditionalCriticalWorktreads.. and another that i can't remember right now,does this has something to do with my "problem" if i increase that value would it make any difference ?

...and :blushing: for future posts..how do i link a image, i mean just a thumbnail..instead of..this... ?

This theme i have it for 2 years or so, i have it from a friend, i've looked for it on the internet but nothing, if you want i can mail it.

PM me.

Edited by BlueMe

It's not that i need 40 & 40 opened windows but i want to use all my ram, who know maybe i'll want to open more windows and apps. and leave them running for a litlle faster access, about the wallpaper... i know, that's not my current wallpaper, i was just trying some walls from deviant when i decided to take the screenshot and post..

Edit : So about my question.. anyone got some inputs ?

Edited by BlueMe

Does the event log record anything to indicate a system resource shortage?

You could try using the debugger to check out the state of the system when it's under load:

Download and install the Debugging Tools for Windows

Download and install the symbols for Windows XP

Launch WinDbg (as an Administrator)

Click File / Symbol File Path

In the box, enter SRV*c:\windows\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols

Click OK

Click File / Save Workspace

Click File / Kernel Debug

Select Local tab, click OK

At the prompt at the bottom, type !vm and press enter

This should list a summary of virtual memory usage and the processes running - see if any of the "usage" values are close to their correspoding "limit" values, or any "free" values are very low.

You can get the same information with a mix of Process Explorer (http://www.sysinternals.com), the _NT_SYMBOL_PATH environment variable set to the public Microsoft symbol server (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/debugstart.mspx), and perfmon (start > run > perfmon).

Process Explorer seems unable to determine the paged and nonpaged pool limits when configured to use (only) the public symbol server, I've never had any success with it.

_NT_SYMBOL_PATH = http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols - pool limits read "no symbols"

When I use a local downstream cache point for the symbols (with the debugger installed and Process Explorer set to point to the debughlp.hlp that comes with the debugger) it works just fine though:

_NT_SYMBOL_PATH = SRV*C:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols

I ran into this problem trying to help a customer find out his nonpaged pool limit on a bunch of Windows 2000 Servers and reproduced this locally on XP x64 too, so I don't trust Process Explorer to be able to talk to the public symbol server by itself.

Thanks for help guys, but what am i suppose to do, i mean.. pls talk on a noobs lang. Isn't it something a bit easier than what your suggesting ?

try a system optimization program or a reg cleaner

Mr Snrub, that's correct and a bit of a known issue with Process Explorer. Their message boards suggest doing just that - downloading the complete symbols for you OS.

To BlueMe, you are having issues opening programs on your PC, although you appear to have quite a bit of free RAM. This means that likely you've started running low on one of the following system resources:

Free System Page Table Entries (PTEs)

Kernel PagedPool Memory

Kernel NonPagedPool Memory

Desktop Heap Memory

To find out which of these is possibly at or near depletion, you are going to have to do some system monitoring - and to be honest, I would normally suggest doing what Mr Snrub suggests and actually debugging the running OS - however, debugging for a "noob" can be somewhat difficult, and that's why I suggested GUI programs such as Process Explorer and Performance Monitor (perfmon). If these are too difficult, you will likely not get to the root cause of the issue. I hate to be harsh, but you want to determine why the OS isn't doing something it normally would, so you're going to have to do some non-noob things to get that information, and short of using a debugger, you're going to need to use perfmon and Process Explorer.

Wish I could help more, but what you want to determine can't really be determined other than debugging or monitoring with process explorer and perfmon.

Ok, i understand, big thanks for helping me, i'm not afraid of using some "power user" tools, i'm into learning something new everyday so i'll try your methods and asap i'll get this solved i'll post back.

honestly, I'd be curious as to if you hadn't run into some sort of built in window limit. And anyway, if you want to try to use up all your memory, you shouldn't run multiple instances of one program. When multiple copies of the same program load, the OS tries to use as much of what is already loaded into memory multiple times for the sheer purpose of not running out of memory. If you want to run out of memory in a hurry, download some long flash videos and play them all at once, those things use huge amounts of memory, I had one 4 minute video that would use as much as 300 megs of RAM.