Having Problems with Messenger 6.0

Brainboy

Hi all,

This is my first post here, so far I think this website rules. Please don't flame me for being a newbie, I just want to try to get this Messenger 6 thing working. Here's my problem: I have installed MSN Messenger 6.0, plus a patch that I got I think from one of gamehead2000's posts. The patch got rid of the BETA thing, and the ads, but I still have no games. I read somewhere that you need to edit an XML file.... but I can't find one, there doesn't seem to be one in my MSN Messenger folder. And anyways I don't know what to edit. I live in Belgium, if that makes any difference. Please help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Brainboy

Ok, thanks a lot.... But I still don't know what to edit in it. Can you help me with that too?

Brainboy

PS: vcant --> I see you're in Germany, do you speak German? I am from Germany originally, but I now live in Belgium.

PS: vcant --> I see you're in Germany, do you speak German? I am from Germany originally, but I now live in Belgium.

not a word :)

i just live in germany for now, moved in 9 months ago

im not sure witch part you need to modify for the games , i will try to see in Software Hangout topic, you should go over it too.

and benwalburg reminds me that gameheads patch is for MSN 256 only, so check if you downloaded the right version

Hello BrainBoy,

First there is the games missing out standard on one version of msn6 beta going around the net...

There is a fix though....

Mess.be  They have lots of fixes and stuff regarding MSN

Also you can download build 6.0.0.0256 From me english of my server MSN6 Build 256

this is working games version enjoy  :)

Umm is the version on your site already patched? Or should I patch it again with some patch?

BTW, nice avatar and sig.... hehehe

UPDATE: I've downloaded and tried two patches from Mess.be... both didn't work.... one wanted me to have build 250... where do I get that? the other one wanted my email address, I put it in, but still nothing.... I also tried to install the version from your server, it only gave me a repair and remove option, i pressed repair, but still no luck... any advice?

Brainboy

I've had build 250 installed for a week with no problems, games worked fine. Then all of a sudden a day or two ago the 'launch site' menu switched back to "no application information available". The games activator now fails too.

The same thing has happened to all of my friends, and installing build 256 + patches didn't fix it. I'm in Australia if that helps, although I tried changing the country code in configcache.xml with no success.

Any ideas? :)

i think you need to edit the XML file.

i showed the path for it above.

i believe you need to edit the line where it says '<ExpiresInDays>2</ExpiresInDays>', its on the top, and change 2 to i higher number ...

ahh, that's better. I tried setting it to 365 but that didn't work, so I re-ran the games activator on build 250 and it set it to 9999... works now.

Microsoft must've forced everyone to update their configcache.xml, and the games activator doesn't work on build 256 due to the folder change from email -> numbers.

Thanks! :):

if you want to run built 256, you can get it form here. and then apply the patch witch was build by gamehead especially for 0256 that you can find here

Those are exactly the same files I downloaded.... and they don't work....

I downloaded another patch of mess.be, it fixed the "No application information available", but now there is still only one game, called "Boter-kaas-en-eieren" (Dutch for "Butter-cheese-and-eggs"), which is Tic-Tac-Toe. Anybody know a solution to get more games, and preferably in English (the whole game is in Dutch, I think this is because I'm in Belgium). What do I have to change in the XML file to change the country code?? Or what is it that I could change to fix this?

Brainboy

OK, I have got it working now! Thanks to everybody who helped me, especially vcant. Thanks a lot!! The games on Messenger 6 are awesome! I just love Minesweeper Flags! If somebody wants to play against me, post your e-mail address here and I will add you to my list.

Brainboy