Unattended install using bootable DVD

I have been using an unattended install for some years booting from a CD.

I now want to use a DVD as I have too much data for a CD.

With the CD I have a boot image I just point Nero to when burning each disk.

If I use this image with a DVD it doesn't work.

So..... how can I create an unattended bootable DVD?

Cheers,

Phil.

Not sure what file you are pointing Nero to but if you use a boot image file (w2kboot.bin, boot2k3.bin, boot.bin) etc. you can just include in the root of the directory structure (in the same folder as setup.exe)

Then use the process outlined at unattended.msfn.org or use Nero to build an .ISO file that you can in turn burn to DVD.

Hope this helps. If you can't find any of the above files, let me know and I can send you mine.

Good luck.

I tried something a little different just for the heck of it. I have DVD burner but I know some people don't and some don't have a DVD Rom either, so I made 2 seperate CD's, one for Windows, updated drivers, .NET framework, and all the critical updates, and the 2nd CD for Apps. I used the RunOnceEx from CD alternate method:

SetLocal enableextensions

SET CDROM=%~d0

and the last command of the RunOnceEx.cmd being:

shutdown.exe -r -t 00

to restart the computer. It worked like a charm!

Edited by dansouza

Try PowerPacker, it's Great!

Look in the Member contributed projects/Other Member Contributed Projects. Together with RyanVM's integrator you can build some unattended DVDs. The images built will work with either CD or DVD.

I use 2 CDs at the moment, which is a drag, so wanted to fit everything onto one DVD.

I managed to do it by using CDIMAGE and creating a bootable ISO which I then burnt onto DVD using Nero.

All's well that end well :-)

Nero Ultra 6.6 has a create "Bootable" DVD option built into it. If Your using Nero Express it may not be an option. I've been using 6.6 for some time now and it works flawlessly. I'm too lazy to burn an image if

I don't have to.

If your image file worked when you made

a CD it will work for the DVD. I use the Microsoft Corporation.img file or XPBOOT.bin, both work fine.

In the BOOT Tab:

Check "Enable Expert Settings (For advanced users only!)

Change the Floppy Emulation to "No Emulation"

Change Loaded sectors to "4"

hope this helps, :)

able10

Correct on your guess about Nero Express (v6.0, in my case). Has capability to burn bootable CD, but no advanced options for selecting sectors--so it cannot create the ISO image. What's the point?

I get the same job done just as quickly--and with far less resource overhead--with CDIMAGE or nLite. Burn my DVD with CDBurnerXP Pro, too, and dispense with Nero entirely.

I've been using UltraISO for my .iso file work and Nero to burn the DVD. I've been making bootable dual layer DVD's now for a little while and they work out great. I will say that the CD/DVD file system stuff, like Joliet and all of it's options are a pain in the rear. Has anyone ever found a definitive resource on all of this stuff? I can only find bits and pieces from differing web sites and it would be great to find all of the info in one spot.

To create a bootable DVD is the same process to create a bootable CD.

When using Nero what you need is the boot image (.img or .bin) at the beginning you have to choose what kind of project do you want (bootable CD or DVD) insert the path for the image file and that is it.

Be happy.

If only it were that easy. I had a heck of a time getting a DVD to boot once it got over like 3GB in size (I don't remember the exact size). It would boot just fine when it was say 2.2GB, but once I got over 3GB it was no go. I ended up turning off an option in UltraISO that said something like "Add Joliet Volume as Needed". That did the trick, but I really don't have a complete understanding of this since the UltraISO help is less than verbose. Perhaps CDIMAGE is doing something automatically that UltraISO is not, I don't know, but I can tell you first hand that not all .iso images are the same.

If only it were that easy. I had a heck of a time getting a DVD to boot once it got over like 3GB in size (I don't remember the exact size). It would boot just fine when it was say 2.2GB, but once I got over 3GB it was no go. I ended up turning off an option in UltraISO that said something like "Add Joliet Volume as Needed". That did the trick, but I really don't have a complete understanding of this since the UltraISO help is less than verbose. Perhaps CDIMAGE is doing something automatically that UltraISO is not, I don't know, but I can tell you first hand that not all .iso images are the same.

What I was mentioning is the "manual"way to make a bootable WinXP DVD. It means copying the entire WinXP CD to the HD, increasing an extra folder with all your stuffs and making it a bootable DVD.

You mentioned UltraISO it is a good application, I like it, but sometimes I have some headaches using it.