32-bit machine in a 64-bit world...

I've got a few games I want to play that aren't compatible in XP x64 Edition, in this case Star Wars: Rebellion... With Empire at War coming out soon I've had a few nostalgic moments that've made me want to play it... So, I tried installing it on a 32-bit machine, copying the registry and files over, no dice... So... is there a virtual machine that'l run on x64 Windows and let me install a 32-bit operating system to play 32-bit games without all the effort of dual booting...?

Yes, the one that comes with x64 :). Think it's WOW64, and as far as I know, there should be no reason why you can't play the game on x64, unless there's a problem with the characters in the Program Files (x86) path.

Error message I get is...

The Program or feature "\??\D:\install\setup.exe" cannot start or run dur to an incopmatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendorto ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version exists...

When going directly to setup.exe I get:

The image file D:\install\setup.exe is valid, bot is for a machine type other than the current machine.

If I copy an installed version of the game to the hard drive, it just tells me the CDs not in the drive, and none of the NoCD cracks work... :(

The game was of course released back in 98/99....

Oh snap! I found a NoCD hack that has you copy all the movies to the hard drive, and has the needed registry entry to tell the machine everything is on the hard drive... Bitchin'....

Edited by Nakatomi2010

The problem isn't the game. The game plays beautifully under x64, or at least the trial does. The problem is with the Starforce drivers. Ubisoft refuses to get off their fat...duffs...and release a patch with updated, x64 compatible drivers. I know what you mean, though. I've bought the game twice now (once retail before going purely x64 and once through D2D hoping it would work under x64) and I can't play it now at all. Given their attitude towards us customers, I refuse to buy any more games produced (not necessarily those just published) by Ubisoft until their attitude changes.

Edited by Jito463

• 2 weeks later...

Although I've been around since I was using a text editor next to Vinod Koshla and Steve Balmer on a time share DEC 20, I can you some detailed help on how to dump xp64 which I foolishly ordered installed on my AMD 4400+ machine. I ordered a new OEM Xp (32) disk after realizing that there are no drivers that just install on xp64 and I really wanted to use my printers--and my MS wireless keyboard, or my HP scanner, etc.

Anyway, prepared to lose everything although I wish ther was a way to save my RAid drives. The setup now is my high speed disk is formatted into a fat32 C disk partion and an NTFS D: disk. (I also have a 250gig SATA and 2 160 Gig drives set up with the RAID. I tried to install XP32, but after assorted mucking around lost my RAID disk and had to rebuild them and still had XP64 on the system.

Can someone help me by telling me exactly what to do--do I reformat my hard drive first and not wait for the request from booting the xp disk? etc.

PS: Is there any reason any of you are using XP64. It doesn't crash much and it runs open office, but to just install a driver is impossible.

Thanks much

Yeah I agree jlavin. I dont use xp 64 bit unless it is for something like this kind of stuff http://www.planetx64.com/index.php?option=...&id=5&Itemid=52

But that is the only real benefit of x64 I see is that if you have properly written software and drivers for the 64 bit platform you are going to see huge gains in performance. Other than that, the 64 bit is just fun for enthusiastic people and it supposedly manages memory and resources better but it is a moot point since you cant do much with it. For example the Starforce drivers are a pain in the a** as a lot of games I like to play are protected using Starforce.

As for your problem, I am confused. You ordered 64 bit XP and now you want to revert to 32 bit so you ordered a copy of that as well. Err...cant you back up your stuff?

Not being able to do much shouldn't be equal to not playing all games on a gamer's machine :) - I personally use mine for everyday tasks along with a hefty workload, and find it a perfect match for both.

I do agree, however, that currently x64 machines are only really helpful to people who plan on using their boxes with certified drivers, 64bit software, and the kind of workload a 64bit machine was designed for before they'll see any real differences.

Just wait until Exchange 12, however, and at least Server 2003 x64 will have LOTS of converts :).

Edited by cluberti

Yeah I agree jlavin. I dont use xp 64 bit unless it is for something like this kind of stuff http://www.planetx64.com/index.php?option=...&id=5&Itemid=52

But that is the only real benefit of x64 I see is that if you have properly written software and drivers for the 64 bit platform you are going to see huge gains in performance. Other than that, the 64 bit is just fun for enthusiastic people and it supposedly manages memory and resources better but it is a moot point since you cant do much with it. For example the Starforce drivers are a pain in the a** as a lot of games I like to play are protected using Starforce.

As for your problem, I am confused. You ordered 64 bit XP and now you want to revert to 32 bit so you ordered a copy of that as well. Err...cant you back up your stuff?

Sorry about messing up the previous reply.

I am prepared to dump everthing on the computer, no problem. I want to delete xp64 and go with normal xp. But when I tried it, it failed. just messed things up and took a while to straighten out, so I know just booting off an xp disk and telling it to install doesn't work. Looking for advice on how to do this.

Thanks.

and yes, XP does work very well with the right programs, but printing and zone alarm are nice too...

I found my printer drivers at www.planetamd64.com almost ALL drivers I've had a tough time finding I found there...

I will admit driver support is a b***h, but overall I haven't been disappointed with this... I don't need to worry that much over things, as described above I found a work around to my problem, and there's almost always a work around...

My printer is an HP 2510, and I'm using it properly with the drivers found on that site over the network... Prints, scans and even lets me properly use the memory card reader on it, hell I transfered an MP3 to the memory card reader, stuck that SD card in my iPaq and bluetoothed it over to my cell phone, and now I have an orchestral mario brother ringtone...

http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?dlcategory=4

Beside the oddball piece of software, I've been 100% satisfied with XP x64 Edition...