Running UA Install Using DVD Instead of \Install folder on Hard D

Hello all...

Trying to run most of my customized installs for my fave programs at the first login stage using a batch script. I know that it transfers the \install to my hard drive then runs the install from there. Is there a way to do this directly off the DVD instead of the hard drive to save clean up later? I know it can be done with RunOnceEx, but I'm one of the few still comfortable with batch scripting.

Thanks for the help.

move your install folder out of the OEM tree so it doesn't get copied then in your batch search for the install folder on you cd, check the forums there are numerous ways to do it both batch lines and standalone apps.

then create a variable containing your cd drive letter and modify your batch to run the installers from %CDDRIVE%\installs\xxxx\etc.\etc.\etc.

I install most of my software from cmdlines.cmd called from cmdlines.txt. The programs I want to install from my HD are stored under \$OEM$\$1\installs\ and are called by %SYSTEMDRIVE%\installs\ and the programs I want to install from CD are stored in \$OEM$\installs\ and are called by .\installs\ (the working directory for cmdlined.txt is \$OEM$\)

I am curious as to why you want to install from the dvd? It is much slower from the DVD than it is when it installs from the hard drive.

I do understand the need for cleanliness, but when you get to the end of your batch file just set up to delete the install folder and run a defrag. I know this seems stupid since I just said that the hard drive is faster than the DVD, but when you think about it, Microsoft says that you should defrag a new machine anyway since the files are fragmented even directly after a fresh install. So you would be doing it anyway. Just a thought...

Rhondo :whistle:

I am curious as to why you want to install from the dvd? It is much slower from the DVD than it is when it installs from the hard drive.

Installing from a hard drive is faster than installing from a DVD but you have to copy the files from the DVD to your hard drive first, and that also takes time.

The two reasons I have for installing apps from a CD is because I don't want my end users to have access to some of the source files and some of the computers I build don't have room for the entire source files on their hard drives.

Why run a cleanup script when you can run clean from the beginning?