Switching to Windows: Not as easy as you think

prathapml

there was Windows. There was always Windows. But for comedic effect, the author chooses not to mention the long, heavy years spent using Microsoft Windows for School, University and Work. Now please continue reading, happily oblivious to this devious bit of artistic license.

I grew up on a Unix command-line. BSD, I believe. I have dim memories of dialing up on a black and green Wyse50 terminal, sending e-mail with 'mail', reading newsgroups and playing Nethack in all its ASCII glory. I even became rather adept at vi. I was happy, ecstatic even, wrapped all snug and safe in my warm, green world of text and terminal beeps. But my friends all had 'IBM clones', and as I grew, so too did the technology. My early youth was tinged in the stark, cyan tones of CGA. My preteens were illustrated in glorious EGA, and as I came of age, so too did the startling, varied hues of SVGA. But I get ahead of myself. As a child, we did play games, primitive games, on these 'IBM clones'. Bolderdash, Centipede, Double-Dragon, Golden Axe. But no computer game could compare to the imagination of a ten-year-old boy! And so for the better part of my youth I remained shrouded by the eerie, flickering glow of scrolling text. My first experience with a 'Graphical User Interface' was an X-terminal. Then it was Red Hat Linux all the way, until Ubuntu walked itself onto my desktop nearly a year ago... and there things should have ended.

Except that life does not always go according to plan.

Aside from the installation issue with the hard-drive, Windows was also unable to detect my graphics controller and sound-card. Intriguingly, Windows offered to automatically adjust my video settings for 'better performance'. I was not given a choice in the matter. It adjusted my desktop from the default 640x480 with 16 colours to a glorious 640x480 with 16 colours ... Gee.

In comparison, an Ubuntu 5.10 live CD tested on the same hardware correctly detected the 200GB hard-drive, sound card, graphics controller and monitor. Within minutes of sticking in the CD, I was booting into a fully functional 1280x1024 desktop with sound, Internet access, even 3d acceleration! For shame, Microsoft.

I must say, I am not particularly impressed by Windows XP.

Read full article at madpenguin

Haha nice find prathapml. This is ridiculous. But then again both camps have people like these. There are just 2 different kinds of computing paradigms I guess...cmd line and gui. I take gui...being a visual person and all...not to say that XP's themes are particularly great !! :P

hah nice :)

I grew up with Dos, Xtree (LOL), Windows 3.1 and an ancient menu system that i only remeber as "Menu".

I have to agree with survyad, i'm a GUI type of guy, i find it easier to click a checkbox to trigger an option, rather then using /? to find the switch to use.

:thumbup