how to connect to digital camera using usb in win2k3?

sirpelidor

Hi, i'm trying to download pictures from my canon powershot s500 to the win2k3 but I don't know how.

Under xp, all I do is plug the usb port to my computer, and it'll recongized my camera and provide me interface to download pictures.

Since win2k3 doesn't do what xp does, I assume it has to do with some sort of security setting, I think I need to turn on something, but I don't know what to turn on in order download pictures.

Thanks for ur help.

you may have to find if there are compatible drivers for your camera for w2k3, it is possible that the PNP drivers for xp will not work with w2k3, check Canon's site to see if the camer is compatible with the OS

Thanks for the reply fizban2, just emailed to canon support and they claim win2k3 driver is not supported.

Maybe its my lack of understanding how xp and win2k3 works. I always thought they are similiar to the point that if something can be done in XP, I must able to do in win2k3.

Most cameras made in the past 4yrs don't need a driver, the computer mounts them as with a generic USB storage device (this gives them compatibility to any OS that has USB support). IMHO any camera that can't be mounted this way, isn't worth buying.

I have come across the problem of the USB device not showing up a few times, and it's because the drive letter that the camera (or system?) wants is currently used, and for some bizarre reason XP (2003 will probably do it too) won't simply check the next letter.

Go into your Disk Manager (right click My Computer, choose Manage). From there you should see everything connected to your computer and if you see the camera you can right click it and manually assign it a drive letter.

Edited by travisowens

travis,

you are right on the drive letter idea, that is a commen issue with many USB devices (esp HDs and cameras)

Sir Pelidor,

Wp and 2k3 are similar to an extent, 2k3's codebase is significantly different and more secure, writing a USB drive for the camere is up to canon, and maybe they just to lazy... sorry to hear you couldn't get it going though

I run server 2k3 and use the usb for my HP....somehow also the Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard is installed and detects it but I got it disabled...I use a 3rd party program called Cam2pc 4.52 that works great.