Slipstreaming Office XP updates

Lazy8

Advanced installation procedures in the Unattended Windows guide...

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/45/

...cite the importance of integrating individual updates in a specific order. The updates themselves do not correspond to those currently required, though. The instructions list a set of updates that have obviously been incorporated into the next service pack. How will I determine the correct order to run the new ones? My best guess is to integrate them in order of release date--will this work?

I have applied the 3 service packs with these commands:

msiexec /p c:\OfficeXPSP1\MAINSP1_Admin.MSP /a E:\OfficeXP\proplus.msi shortfilenames=true /qb

msiexec /p c:\OfficeXPSP2\MAINSP2ff.MSP /a E:\OfficeXP\proplus.msi shortfilenames=true /qb

msiexec /p c:\OfficeXPSP3\MAINSP3FF.MSP /a E:\OfficeXP\proplus.msi shortfilenames=true /qb

Then I've applied this:
msiexec /p c:\OfficeXPSP3\OWC10SP3FF.MSP /a E:\OfficeXP\owc10.msi shortfilenames=true /qb

So basically I have Office XP with SP3 integrated.

What I need is now is to integrate the critical updates for Office XP after SP3.

officexp-kb832332-v2-fullfile-enu

OfficeXP-kb832668-v2-fullfile-enu

officexp-kb833857-client-enu

officexp-kb833858-fullfile-enu

officexp-kb837253-client-enu

officexp-kb873352-fullfile-enu

officexp-kb873366-fullfile-enu

officexp-kb873379-fullfile-enu

officexp-kb887978-fullfile-enu

officexp-kb890829-fullfile-enu

officexp-kb892841-fullfile-enu

officexp-KB895589-FullFile-ENU

officexp-KB904018-FullFile-ENU

Are these all post-SP3 updates that I need?

How should I integrate them properly?

Any suggestions & ideas are highly appreciated :thumbup

I may have answered my own question...the updates appeared to slipstream smoothly when applied in the chronological order I mentioned earlier.

Your method (while harmless) is redundant, rado354. Service Packs are cumulative...if you already have SP3, then it's safe to toss out the previous two. Here are the updates I found necessary after a full install of OfficeXP with SP3:

officexp-kb832332-v2-fullfile-enu

officexp-kb833858-fullfile-enu

officexp-kb837253-client-enu

officexp-kb873352-fullfile-enu

officexp-kb873379-fullfile-enu

officexp-kb890829-fullfile-enu

officexp-kb892841-fullfile-enu

officexp-KB895589-FullFile-ENU

officexp-KB904018-FullFile-ENU

My guess is that the remaining ones are unnecessary for your setup. Hang onto them until you check the installed program against the Office Update site, in case I'm wrong. Unpack your service pack & updates according to the Unattended Windows Guide, and write a command to slipstream them--or adapt my .cmd to suit your needs:

msiexec /p C:\OXP\updates\sp3832671\MAINSP3ff.msp /a C:\OXP\OfficePro\PRO.MSI SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb

msiexec /p C:\OXP\updates\oxp833858\VSDEBUGop.msp /a C:\OXP\OfficePro\PRO.MSI SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb

msiexec /p C:\OXP\updates\oxp873379\MSCONVff.msp /a C:\OXP\OfficePro\PRO.MSI SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb

msiexec /p C:\OXP\updates\oxp832332\SHAREDff.msp /a C:\OXP\OfficePro\PRO.MSI SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb

msiexec /p C:\OXP\updates\oxp837253\OFFICESPSop.msp /a C:\OXP\OfficePro\PRO.MSI SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb

msiexec /p C:\OXP\updates\oxp873352\SHAREDff.msp /a C:\OXP\OfficePro\PRO.MSI SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb

msiexec /p C:\OXP\updates\oxp890829\FP5AUTLff.msp /a C:\OXP\OfficePro\PRO.MSI SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb

msiexec /p C:\OXP\updates\oxp895589\WINWORDff.msp /a C:\OXP\OfficePro\PRO.MSI SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb

msiexec /p C:\OXP\updates\oxp904018\MSACCESSff.msp /a C:\OXP\OfficePro\PRO.MSI SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb

msiexec /p C:\OXP\updates\oxp892841\OLKINTLff.msp /a C:\OXP\OfficePro\PRO.MSI SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb

No problems with mine, once I worked the typos out. Now I'm off to test it on the update site. Good luck with yours!

Pretty sure. It's right here in the summary:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=832671

Some of the fixes that are included with Microsoft Office XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) have been previously released as separate updates. This service pack combines them in one update. Office XP SP3 can be installed on any level of Microsoft Office XP and does not require any earlier service packs to be installed..

When I last hooked up to the update site using only the updates I suggested, only KB890829 was missing--hardly a concern when I installed only the basic Office suite. If you include Frontpage, be sure to reference PROPLUS.MSI, instead of PRO.MSI. That should integrate it.

Well, that didn't work as planned. I had two versions of the command (one for each of the two Office packages available), and I had used the appropriate code in the first place. I accessed Microsoft Update, took the automatic download this time, and retrieved the patch from the WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download temp folder afterwards. The file, released on the same date as FP5AUTLff.msp, is considerably smaller than the first patch. I've integrated the new FP5AUTLop.msp, and test it (after resolving some other unrelated issues).

I'm just relieved to see this degree of success in order of integration, and that the worst result was the occasional patch that didn't stick. Small potatoes for now.

• 2 months later...

Hi everybody!

I have Office XP with SP3 slipstreamed, and now I want to integrate all the hotfixes that Microsoft releases post SP3 and burn it in a CD. I downloaded them and integrated them.

But I have a problem with one of them: officexp-kb833857-client-ITA

In fact, this hotfix doesn't have a .msp file like all the other hotfix, but seven files: 3 .mde (the files of the update: ACWZLIB.MDE, ACWZMAIN.MDE, ACWZTOOL.MDE), 3 .dll and 1 .inf.

How can I integrate it? It is possible simply to copy the 3 .mde in the \FILES\PFILES\MSOFFICE\OFFICE10 folder and overwrite the original ones?

Thanks!

I'm not sure how client versions of these hotfixes differ from their fullfile counterparts. Try to obtain the full one, instead. You may have to make your request directly to Microsoft--hotfixes in your language edition may not be accessible to a direct download. They should issud them to users who need to perform their updates without their Office 2003 installation CD available.

One other thing that usually works for me, is to use Office Update to automatically apply the hotfix. The .MSP can be found in WINDOWS\Software Distribution\Download, the temp folder for these updates.

As long as this topic has resurfaced, I guess I'll conclude my original question. My best guess is that the slipstreaming process was performed successfully. The patches that never stuck were fixes for Office components I did not install. Problem solved by checking 'hide' for each fix in Microsoft Update.

One other thing that usually works for me, is to use Office Update to automatically apply the hotfix. The .MSP can be found in WINDOWS\Software Distribution\Download, the temp folder for these updates.

Thanks for your answer. Yes I can use Office Update, but it doesn't find this update, probably it has been already installed in my pc, so I can't redownload it....

I think it should be possible simply to overwrite them.... not a perfect job, but a good solution.... as you can read here, this update changes only the 3 .mde files....

I don't know other way to do it, I think ask the fullfile to Microsoft should be with very very poor possibilities to get it....