How to set up this server?

Hi guys!

I recently got my hands on this beauty, clicky! I've become a little bit confident about how to configure it now after a while. I'm having some problems with getting it to share things the way i'd like to. Anyone got some ideas about how to get it to meet theese requirements for set-up?

* Sharing folders for a larger group of users who each have their own username and password

* Both private folders and shared folders for each user

* Each user has one or more folders that he administers, and some of them can be read by others while the others can not

* The admin has access to all the folders (basic, isen't it?)

* Admin can only be logged on from the local network (preferably, but not neccecary)

* Can be accessed from other places than the local network (like school, friends, work and so on). Preferably using a DNS, ex: www.msfn.org

* Each user can make sub folders in their folder without any problems, and set rights for thoose folders, except for rights for the admin, as he will have a default rights as all rights

* Preferably navigated through as a Window's folder system (like \\someweirdpcname with lots of subfolders and files

* Can be accessed even through proxy servers (dad might like to show pictures from a vaccation etc. while he is at work (he has lots of good associates(sp?) ))

Also, you might want to check out NSLU2 Linux! (a bit slow though). It's a server running on the same box as i am trying to set up. I can install that unofficial software on it, as long as i don't need a serial port (you need it for one or two of them, i don't feel like adding one, besides i don't have any experience with it either).

Best Regards

Nerevar

Luckily, I had one of these lying at the bottom of a box. One of the admins at my school just gave it to me because they had no use for it.

I never knew you could do so much to it until you included that link to uNSLUng! :) I just de-underclocked mine to 266MHz (since the default is 133MHz)! :) I'm going to go buy an external drive case tomorrow and start playing around with this baby! :P

I'm not sure if you can manage to do all that with it but you should manage to get most of it working. To install some of the unofficial packages you need a serial port on it, or at least so it seems. As for the external drive, an usb flash drive is enough :-) It depends on what you're going to use it for. Personally i'll be using it for backup, and i got a 200gig disk on it :-)

Looking foreward to hearing from you gamehad200 :-)

Best Regards

-Marius

Not formating it correctly? I suppose you formated it through the NSLU2 box. Since, if you try to do it on your computer it will be formated with the wrong file system and you can't use it.

Later,

Nerevar

Yeah, its being formatted on the NSLU2... As I said, I'm going to return this enclosure and get a different brand. :}

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...