How to handle this on 2k3

melodylife

no virus ,of course ,otherwise i won't remark my problem here, :) .so i've done viru-check,what's next?

K, sorry mate, I have to ask that, now do you have SP1, and latest patches installed?

This is new with Win2003 Server SP1:

Stronger defaults and privilege reduction on services—Services such as RPC and DCOM are integral to Windows Server 2003, but they are also an alluring target for hackers. By requiring greater authentication for RPC and DCOM calls, Service Pack 1 establishes a minimum threshold of security for all applications that use these services, even if they possess little or no security themselves.
Edited by N1K

thanks ,i'll try. i've just used 2k3 for days. can any other reason cause rpc shuted down automatedly except hacker's attack?

to be honest, I never heard of that problem with Win2003 server...Well, in any case, post here what was the problem if you fix this with patches or SP1..

a service or program that is corrupted that is called through RPC could cause the shutdown to occur, you can check the file integrity (sorry couldn't find the command line for it) and see if anything has been changed.

Hi,

I think everyone here is right you must have a virus i've had the same problem before.

When your server starts a countdown to reboot type the following in the run box

shutdown -a

that should stop the countdown.

and get Sp1 installed it's free!!

Minus Human

Minus,

you are right that will stop a shutdown, but that won't always work, if the shutdown was initated because the RPC was actaully caused to fail, the command shouldn't work, but again i haven't tried it...so who knows.