Windows XP Pro, Windows XP pro 64 or Small Business Server 2003

steveblue

Hi all,

I have upgraded my system to a AMD 64X2 3800+, and was wondering which OS to use to get the best out of my computer. I have a copy of the following;

Microsoft Windows XP Pro 64

Microsoft Windows XP Pro

Microsoft Small Business Server 2003

is there much point in me using the Pro 64 OS, due to the bugs elc and picking between the Pro and SBS 2003?

whats your views?

Thanks

Steve

well I just put together the same rig.

amd 64-3800x2 blah blah blah.

Win xp64 bit version is slacking in drivers and support. Im going back to the 32 bit as we speak........

I would not recommend 64 bit of windows at all.

I am suggesting the converse of mommay's suggestion - I use an Athlon 64 X2 myself, and have absolutely nothing bad to say about Windows XP x64. However, all of my hardware is either on the HCL for WinXP x64, or has signed WHQL drivers for x64, and the box runs like a champ. It makes a great workstation, that doubles as a VM tester and code compiler.

If you've got supported hardware and software, x64 is the way to go for sure - conversely, if you have unsupported hardware or try to use a 32bit antivirus or antispyware application, you should stay far, far away from x64 Windows and stick to a 32bit variant until you can have supported drivers and/or applications.

I've been using the 64 bit XP for months now and no gripes whatsoever. If all your hardware is supported and you are prepared it should be a great experience. The ones who run into trouble usually didn't do their research.