[Question] - Accessing data in an old %AppData%

steveblue

Hi all,

I'm looking to try and rescue data from an old version of %AppData%.

What I have is two hard drives, the master [C:] has a new install of windows xp home, and the slave [D:] has an old install of windows xp home, which will not boot, due to a problem with an upgrade, which is why I have a new install. I am looking to to access the data with in the D: %AppData% so I can move it to the C: %AppData%, if you get my drift. How can I do this???

Thanks

Steve

Title Edited - Please follow new posting rules from now on.

--Zxian

Hi ,

tried to do this, but not getting the info I need, I'm tring to get my old Firefox bookmarks and emails from thunderbird, in the old %AppData% on D: drive. How can I find these?.

If I move the D: drive to C: and reinstall Windows xp into the same directory, will I be able to login and get the data that way?

Thanks

Steve

Unless it was customized, your D: should have a folder called "Documents and Settings". In that folder there should be a few other folders, one for each user. Inside each users folder is another set of folders...there should be an "Application Data" folder, with other folders inside it. Inside that should be all your files for Firefox...I can't remember if they still use "Mozilla" or "Firefox", but look for either of those and in there should be your Firefox profile.

If you already have Firefox installed on the new C:, then you should be able to just move the bookmarks.html file to the profile and then it should show right up. You might need to close and open Firefox if it's already running.

To avoid this in the future either manually redirect Firefox to save it's profile info to a more accessable folder, or there are several plugins that will backup your profile to a different location...FTP is the most common method.

Thanks guys, for all your help, but its sames that this info is no longer there :angry: , even the backup cd I made with Roxio easy cd creator is corrupt!....

I found a good backup utility for Firefox and Thunderbird called MozBackup 1.4.3, so hopefully I'll not have this trouble again, the next time I'm upgrading my pc.

Thanks

Steve