permission to delete own files

eyeball

Hi all,

i have a network drive and i want to stop users deleteing from it ...easy enough, however when they create a word document a .tmp file is also created that cannot be deleted by them,

anybody know a way around this?

many thanks :D

the .tmp should be deleted automatically when MS Word closes.

It also depends the user account used to access that network drive.

Sometimes word uses the system account to create several files which are only deletable by MS Word itself - not the user.

try this:

create a user account on the network

run MS Word

create a file and store it on the network drive using this new user account

close ms word - there should be no tmp files - or if there are, you should be able to delete them

remember to give the user account read/write permissions!

If you remove or deny someone's ability to delete files, they lose the ability to delete files - thus, if you use an application (like Word) that creates temp files in the location the document is opened in, you will not be able to delete the temp files once Word is closed.

Remember, the temp file is still a file, and the user won't have the ability to remove files!!! There's no way around this - if you remove the ability to delete files, the user won't be able to delete files. Either create the files elsewhere and store them in the location later, or don't use an application that needs temp files :rolleyes:.

If you've got a Windows Server 2003 server that is hosting these files, you may be better off enabling the Volume Shadow Copy features of the OS, so if the user deletes a file they can restore it themselves (within reason), without resorting to tape. Removing a user's ability to delete files in their own directories creates all sorts of trouble with applications, especially Office. It would be better to use something like VSC rather than a draconian rights removal, but that's just my opinion.

i kinda found a way around this, i just give the owner the ability to delete files and that way the tmp files are deleteable. only thing is that the user can delete any file they own and not other users which is better than nothing i guess.

and also i have volume shadow copy enabled so i think that this pretty much covers all the users.

so in conclusion

a user can delete their own files and if they do by accident i can recover with VSC

a user cannot delete any other users files

i think this is a pretty safe setup :)

thanks for the help guys :thumbup

Edited by eyeball