DNS and internet

spapps

Hi.

I'm just playing around with WS2003EE.

I have done this before, and I have done it again - I have set up a DHCP successfully.

What I want to do basically is kind of like a router configuration - DHCP gives client IP and allows the clients to access the internet.

I have a router, it has DHCP - works fine (almost but thats another issue) and client computers can access the internet.

What I wanna do now is to disable DHCP (easily done) on the router, and pretty much make a box into a router where clients get IP from WS2003 DHCP and then I need to be able to configure the box to allow the clients to access the internet via the router.

is this possible?

I pretty much want it to allow the clients to be able to connect to the internet - DHCP is set up, what's next?

Thanks!

Edited by spapps

Personally, I would keep your router as the DHCP server. However, all you have to do is configure your 2003 DHCP server to issue the IP address of your router (the default gateway) and all should be well.

If he's going to setup an AD Domain it's generally more accepted to have the Windows Server 2003 box as the DHCP server. You have finer control over the scopes when you use 2003's DHCP server in that you can configure the DNS servers (which he'll want his DC's IP as the first DNS server, then the ISP's after that), WINS servers if used, BOOTP, etc, etc.

But yeah, the final answer is still the same...just configure the router's IP as the gateway in your DHCP configuration.

Also, if you setup AD you're going to have to authorize the DHCP server. If you don't do that step the DHCP server won't work.

I am actually doing a test and prefer not to make the router a DHCP.

What do I have to do to do this? Let's forget about the router for now - all computers are connected to it....

1 box with WS2003EE with DHCP enabled.

Issuing IP Addresses fine

but now how do I make the clients access the internet through the router OR the DHCP server box?

thanks for that buddy!

the router's ip address is 192.168.1.1 - so how do i configure this in the DHCP on the WS2003 box as this will be the default gateway?

I wish to give it a different scope of IP's - not ending in 1.x but rather 100.x - would this still be ok even configuring the router with that IP (192.168.1.1) as the default gateway?

I am also not making it into a domain - do i have to?

Edited by spapps

but now how do I make the clients access the internet through the router OR the DHCP server box?

Does the internet come in through the router? if so you may want to look into using the server as the gateway rather then the router, it depends on what testing you want to do. it can be setup either just a difference in configuration depending on the entry point.

Depending on which device will be the one providing the internet connection will depend on what you need to do, for the router being the connection to the internet you will need to set the IP given to the router as the gateway in you DHCP server scope (note: the IP should be within the range specificed in you scope or you will have to deal with routing issues), this will allow any clients that get a DHCP address from the server to know the router is the one providing the internet connection.

If you want to have the internet connection come in through the server, you can you ICS or the more robust RRAS functionality in server 2003 to share the internet connect. depending on the router this will change... but you will have to take the router out of a gateway mode and change it to just a routing mode. them you can assign it a static IP from the scope that is on you DHCP server (preferably from an exceptions block of IPs) that should be all the settings that you need to do on hte router.

Edited by fizban2

the router's ip address is 192.168.1.1 - so how do i configure this in the DHCP on the WS2003 box as this will be the default gateway?
Open the DHCP manager on your Windows 2003 box.

Go to DHCP > server > Scope [192.168.100.0] > Scope Options.

If you have an entry for 003 Router then just double click that and enter 192.168.1.1. If you don't have that entry then right click on Scope Options and select Configure Options. Put a check on 003 Router and enter 192.168.1.1 in the bottom part. This is the same place you would configure DNS Servers, WINS Servers, etc. etc.

I wish to give it a different scope of IP's - not ending in 1.x but rather 100.x - would this still be ok even configuring the router with that IP (192.168.1.1) as the default gateway?
It'll be easier if you make everything the same (either all 192.168.1.x or all 192.168.100.x) but it doesn't have to be that way. You'll just have to do some subnet mask magic. Unfortunately I don't think Server 2003 will allow you to reconfigure the subnet mask without recreating the entire scope.
I am also not making it into a domain - do i have to?
Nope, no domain required. Edited by nmX.Memnoch

thats great, thanks alot chaps!

The internet will be going through the router - that is where the broadband internet is connected to. I will try all this and come back if I have any problems!

Many thanks!