instaling of 64bit trail from MS

Hello well i am trying to install the free trail 64bit windows os.

computer specs. asus A8V- Deluxe motherboard. AMD 64 athlon 3500+ two sata 80G harddrives on a raid-0 . also have windows 32bit pro os instaled.as far as hardware everything is 64bit compatable.

Well o.k here go's, i downloaded the 64bit trail os from microsoft and burned the iso files to a cd-rw like they said. i was then told that if the cd does not open on it's own that i should open it with windows explorer and use the setup;exe well expoler did not open so am useing a program called WinImage this has worked.

I open the setup:exe and the 64bit windows® opens with the start window. the options are there asking me what i want to to do.

1) install windows

2) veiw setup instructions and release notes

3) perform additional tasks

4) check system compatibility

well I chose install nothing happens, i chose view setup and i get a page opened but the links for the instructions wont open for the reason i believe there 64bit. and i have not yet instaed 64bit.

i click on the perfrom additional task and i now have options asking me what i want to do 5 other tasks. but nothing opens there as well except the one asking me if i want to browse the cd.i see all the files and folds with in the cd but none of them used run the install since i have found that back with the setup:exe with WinImage.

?? is there someting in the bios i need to have set first or??. i have bios 1009. any ideas on how to install this free trail 64bit os from MS. will be GREATLY excepted.

Do i need to make a 2nd partition first with windows 32bit os??. or is this option there in the install of 64bit install??. as it is in 32bit os install.

I have added an pic attachment to this posting of the above screen discribtion.

post-84289-1136405660_thumb.jpg

Edited by gammaray

Yes, you do need to have a second partition, unless you want to wipe out all of your data along with 32-bit os. You should start installing by booting of CD that you burned, you can't upgrade to 64-bit over 32-bit os!

Edited by Kamil

Yes, you do need to have a second partition, unless you want to wipe out all of your data along with 32-bit os. You should start installing by booting of CD that you burned, you can't upgrade to 64-bit over 32-bit os!

o.k so u saying that i will have to reinstall windows 32bit again so i can make the second partition?? then boot from 64 bit cd for installing that?? well when i try to boot from cd i burned it wont read it, it acts as if there is nothing in the dvd-rom and windows 32 bit boots up and logos on. i was told that if this happens to open the cd from the setup:exe file off windows explorer in witch i am useing WinImage to do this. am not wishing to install the 64bit os over my 32bit os, i just thought that while installing the 64bit os that it would ask me to make the partition as it does in the 32bit os of windows XP pro.

They told you wrong. There's no way to install x64 OS from setup.exe especially when executing it on 32-bit OS

Make sure that in your bios, in boot devices, cd-rom comes before hdd

If this is iso from Microsoft that is burned correctly, it should boot by it self, if not, you should compile yourself .iso image using nLite for example or cdimage.exe that requires boot.bin.

I hope that you have unpartitioned space on your hdd so you'll be able to make extra partition. :)

Do you have any other partitions than C:\ ?

EDIT: To make extra partitions you have to delete exisiting one and then divide this big piece of space into partitions.

Edited by Kamil

They told you wrong. There's no way to install x64 OS from setup.exe especially when executing it on 32-bit OS

Make sure that in your bios, in boot devices, cd-rom comes before hdd

If this is iso from Microsoft that is burned correctly, it should boot by it self, if not, you should compile yourself .iso image using nLite for example or cdimage.exe that requires boot.bin.

I hope that you have unpartitioned space on your hdd so you'll be able to make extra partition. :)

Do you have any other partitions than C:\ ?

EDIT: To make extra partitions you have to delete exisiting one and then divide this big piece of space into partitions.

o.k well my dvd-rom in bios has been set as first boot device so that's not it.

It is an ISO from MS, ?? what u mean by compile .iso image ( that requires boot.bin). I have used WinImage to open this ISO file. but as it was executed in the 32bit windows OS . i little step to step explanation would be great !!! am sure i got the burn correctly , i used the windows xp transfer software to do this.

The one Thing i have not done is make the second partition, i have still only the one C:/

I have 2 80G drives set up on a raid-0 so it reads the 2 80G as one drive ( there for 160G) drive C:/

with windows 32 bit installed on this.

Do u think that since there is no open second partition that thats way the 64bit cd wont start install??.

again i thought that maybe like the 32bit OS that about halfway though the 64bit os set up that it would then asked me to make a partition.

THANKS for your time and thoughts on this!! .

You should use Nero to burn .iso image correctly. Microsoft includes in their .iso images some kind of file that can boot CD

Built in Windows CD burner can't burn this correctly! I hope you did not extract .iso image that you got and copied content of it by using Windows Explorer.

Please use Nero, you should end up with perfectly booting CD.

Do u think that since there is no open second partition that thats way the 64bit cd wont start install??.

Nope, this has nothing to do. CD will always boot.

I would suggest to backup existing data and reformat completely. I myself have 6 partitions on my 250GB HDD

Edited by Kamil

You will never be able to install X64 running in a 32-bit environment. You must boot from the ISO you burned either with Nero or Magic ISO or any other ISO burning program. If none of that works then order the trial CD form MS directly.

If you don't have more than one partition then you will overwrite anything on your single partition.

BTW, RAID 1 would be better than RAID 0 with only 2 drives.

A couple of points if you intend to blow away your current setup to install XP x64:

1. Make sure you have the 64-bit XP drivers for your SATA and RAID controller on a floppy disk so you can use F6 during the boot process of XP x64 to be able to see the RAID-0 array

2. You may need to actually take the HDD out of the boot sequence entirely in the BIOS to be able (or rather forced) to boot from the CD (I have not seen this often, but it has occurred a couple of times)

If I was doing it, I would do it this way:

- back up all important data on the current system to a CD/DVD

- verify that the backed up data restores okay

- get the 64-bit SATA & RAID drivers for the system and copy to a floppy disk

- boot from the XP x64 CD, use F6 to load the drivers so the RAID-0 array is visible as an installation target

- delete the single 160GB RAID-0 partition

- create 1x 40GB partition to be the C: (system) drive and 1x 120GB partition to be the D: (data) drive

- install XP x64 to C:

- format D: as NTFS once XP x64 installation is complete

(if the CD drive becomes D: then manually reassign the drive letter to Z: so that the data partition can be reassigned to D: using Disk Management)

(Actually in reality I slipstreamed the nVidia SATA and RAID drivers for my XP x64 system into the DVD I install from, so I don't need the floppy disk or F6 process.)

The 40/120 split is just a personal preference, so I can store permanent data away from the OS so I can reinstall/upgrade the OS without having to backup & restore all the data (just the apps).

Thanks !! well my 64bit os cd is NOW BOOTABLE, true it was not burned correctlly xp 32bit os transfer software was unable to do this correctlly. so i found Roxio 7.0 ( i think that was it ). i have been able to boot from the cd and start the installing now. THANKS again.

i have made my 2 partition now it reads drive D: so i now have drive C; and D:

though now i have one last issue and that the sata-raid drivers i had downloaded did not work.

i had downloaded a package called ( VIAHYPERIONpro .v504A ) it had added tools and utilaties as well as the drives and so had to manully find what files were for the raid drivers and download those to a floppy. well this ( in part worked ) but was not able to complite install becuse of the drivers unable to read corectlly.

i need help finding the right sata-raid drivers !!! a site that were i can download the raid drivers by themselfs ( not as a package deal) .

I have a ---- ASUS A8V- Deluxe Motherboard

AMD 64 Athlon 3400+ 939 socket 2.2G 512 cache

2 80G sony hhd ( in a VIA raid -O ) config.

Any help with this last opstical would be of great help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS AGAIN for the help with the cd burning issue and the partitions. if u wondering i split the partitions in half 76G and 76G

needing sata-raid drivers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for my 64bit os sata-VIA raid-0 install

THIS HAS THE K8T800 PRO CHIPSET

Edited by gammaray

I have found after more search that the file viahyperionPRO .V5.502A or the V504A is perfect for my needs.

this is what i had to begain with. my problem is that this file software is to large with all it's added tools and utillaties to download to a floopy for the install of the 64bit os.

how am i to find just the raid driver or how am i to add just the driver to a floppy so i can do that install at the part yes were it says press F6.???

I went on over to http://support.asus.com/download/download....SLanguage=en-us

Then selected:

Product = Motherboard

Series = Socket 939

Model = A8V Deluxe

Then clicked on the Drivers tab

Then scrolled down and found:

Beta Version - 1.00.1.41

OS - WinXP 64bit / Win2003 64bit

Description - Promise 20378 RAID controller 64-bit driver v1.00.1.41.

File Size - 551.88 (KBytes)

and

Beta Version - 4.30C

OS - WinXP 64bit / Win2003 64bit

Description - VIA VT8237 SATA RAID 64-bit driver v4.30C (WHQL).

File Size - 6.77 (MBytes)

I would imagine that these 2 have the necessary drivers (though why they are so big and not just "makedisk" packages I don't know).

I also guess that this board has 2 different SATA/RAID controllers onboard, same as my A8N-SLI Deluxe (though mine are SI and nVidia) - I don't know which controller you have set up your RAID array on.

They probably contain a folder called XP64, AMD64, X64 or 64BIT or something, which contains the necessary .INF and .SYS files to copy to floppy disks.

Edit: Ah okay you posted just as I replied :P Only the last bit is relevant then, browse through the folders where the files reside - or is it a single .exe file that wants to install the lot?

Edited by Mr Snrub

Okay, downloaded the file I mentioned above "VIA VT8237 SATA RAID 64-bit driver v4.30C (WHQL)" and unzipped it.

Inside is a folder "VIA_RAID_v4.30C(WHQL)"

Inside this folder are 2 more folders, one of which is called "F6_Disk"

The contents of this folder come to 260KB in total

Copy the contents of the F6_Disk to a floppy disk and you should be good to go (it looks like it has 32-bit and 64-bit on the same disk - there is an AMD64 folder and an I386 folder, with txtsetup.oem at the root).

Okay, downloaded the file I mentioned above "VIA VT8237 SATA RAID 64-bit driver v4.30C (WHQL)" and unzipped it.

Copy the contents of the F6_Disk to a floppy disk and you should be good to go (it looks like it has 32-bit and 64-bit on the same disk - there is an AMD64 folder and an I386 folder, with txtsetup.oem at the root).

LOL thats cool becuese we on the same think page here.

i have just signed back on to see this posting before trying my 64bit boot with that very same download from asus i saw that very samething!!! . and as well was thinking that the size , found the F6 folder.

i have just finshed that copy F6 folder to a floppy. i'll let u now in the moment lol if it works. :thumbup

LOL thats cool becuese we on the same think page here.

i have just signed back on to see this posting before trying my 64bit boot with that very same download from asus i saw that very samething!!! . and as well was thinking that the size , found the F6 folder.

i have just finshed that copy F6 folder to a floppy. i'll let u now in the moment lol if it works. :thumbup

well says that the file TXTSETUP.OEM could not be found.

that was with the F6 folder copyed to the floppy. i'll post this and will be taking anouther look.

that was with the F6 folder copyed to the floppy. i'll post this and will be taking anouther look.

It is the contents of the F6_Disk folder that go onto the floppy disk - not the folder itself.

txtsetup.oem should be at the root of the disk.

It is the contents of the F6_Disk folder that go onto the floppy disk - not the folder itself.

txtsetup.oem should be at the root of the disk.

Yes that worked, the drivers good to go, the cd;s bootable, and the partitions are set, BUT !!! lol well i get past the raid driver installing part , i get past partition, i get past the formating the partitioning part, the 64bit os cd downloads then reboots to start the install, well that's when the next issues start, i found that there are about 1oo missing files, i counted becuese i had to hit the Esc key to skip the file every time one was unable to install from the cd. well i get to about 98% complited and thats when it says unable to install the file needed for the cd- drive , and it stoped there never moved.

I had to reboot from 32bit windows and do a full install of that as well just to get rid of what 64bit did install. well lol am going to order the cd from them and skip this cd issues alltogeter. i got the drivers i need and i do have a better understanding what to exspect so should be o.k once i get that cd.

i guess roxio media program DID not do the trick after all. nero would have been the better pick for this burn.