[Error] - STOP 0x0000009C

ANDYSUDS

Santa brought me norton internet security 2006,ghost 10.0 and norton go back 4.0 for xmas,the prob is,,having installed internet security i installed ghost,insallation was easy to follow and done all as prompted,after finishing installation it suggests you back up and try the recovery out to make sure it works,,so i backed up my complete system booted from the disc to be greeted with a blue screen and error codes as follows....0X0000009C (0X00000004 0X8089A7A0 0XB2000000 0X00070F0F),,,my machine was working ok prior to this,if this is a hardware prob whats the best way to find out what piece of hardware it can be,i have tried the same back up again to be greeted with the same..is there anywhere to tell me what these numbers refer to,,any help would be great...CHEERS ANDY.....HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

Title Edited - Please follow new posting rules from now on.

--Zxian

There is a very good article on the Microsoft site regarding STOP: 0x0000009C errors:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329284&sd=RMVP

Basically, your processor balked at a command it was given, and these are almost always caused by a hardware error. Perhaps the software you installed exacerbated a pre-existing condition that you didn't notice otherwise, or perhaps the two issues are completely unrelated and your hardware problem is just a massive coincidence with installing software (hey, it does happen). If it's a hardware problem, it is going to be in the processor, the system bus, or the memory subsystem (controller or RAM).

I'd suggest going back to a known-good state with your operating system, then use a memory tester (such as the one we provide, http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp) to make sure the RAM is OK. From there, a good hardware tester that runs from a boot CD or floppy would be your best bet to make sure the hardware is indeed OK, or if you have a problem, point out the problem's origins.

Good luck - sounds like you may need it ;).