CDROMs disappear....

tkmadison

Using the RunOnceEx method to install all my software, I install, among others, Nero 6 Ultra edition and Daemon Tools 3.47.

The problem I am having is that upon booting into the user account for the first time neither my CDR drive nor my DVDR drive appear in Windows Explorer.

Now I realize that there is a registry tweak to 'fix' this, but I have had little luck through that route.

In the end I am forced to go into the device manager, delete the drives, and then reboot in order to be able to use them.

I am curious as to whether this is a conflict between Daemon Tools and Nero. Nero 6 Ultra edition has an image drive feature, which I never use. I don't know how to silently install Nero to exclude it, either.

I also have an OEM version of Nero 6 that came with one of the drives which does not include the image drive feature (among other things) but I have yet to figure out how to install that silently. So far, no luck.

This is what my ROE entries look like:

REG ADD %KEY%\006 /VE /D "Daemon Tools 3.47" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\006 /V 1 /D "%PP%\daemon.msi /QB reboot=suppress" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\030 /VE /D "Nero Burning ROM" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\030 /V 1 /D "%PP%\nero\setupx.exe /SN=xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx /WRITE_SN /SILENT /NO_UI /NOREBOOT /NOLICENSE /NOCANCEL" /f

Absolutely normal...

The registry tweak to 'fix' this cdrom issue:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

Now I have this tweak entered twice...once in my big reg tweak file, which is executed via CMDLINES.TXT:

[COMMANDS]
"REGEDIT /S xpcd.reg"
"RunOnceEx.cmd"

This was sort of added as a redundancy to make sure it would work (which it wasn't).

So my question goes out to those who have had this issue before:

how did you fix it? Is it possible?

I don't want any potential end user to have to go and delete their cdroms from the device manager. That's not even viable in most cases.

The dreaded Code 19 error. Have you checked to see what values appear for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters," or even whether only one (probably UpperFilters) or both exist? That might provide a clue as to what is causing the problem.

The dreaded Code 19 error. Have you checked to see what values appear for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters," or even whether only one (probably UpperFilters) or both exist? That might provide a clue as to what is causing the problem.

Usually I don't even get an error message. After an unattended setup has complete I open Explorer and notice that my media drives are missing and that's that.

There was only one time when any notice came up at all, and it was that Nero Filter Check had detected a problem and corrected it. But that only ever occured once.