[Help] - Error (not)opening path/file. help!

matrix1

Hello to everyone on this forum! This is my first post here!

Just downloaded some files from dc++ to my pc and I have this problem:

I have xp sp2 greek pro.

The folders / file name that has some special characters of languages like czech or finnish or swedish can't be open and view (if are jpg for example) at acdsee or any other image browser/viewer i have tried! The folders and files are well browsing by window's explorer, they are opened by Paint but not from other non microsoft applications. If i rename the "foreign" caracters , then i can open the file or folder. But they are many files to do manually this.

Please help me. I made searchings but i found nothing. I'm searching more than 2 hours...

matrix1

P.S. The filename for example it is "rång.jpg" but the non microsoft programmes displays it as "rang.jpg" so they can't open the "rang.jpg" file of course because it dont exist! The file that exists is "rång.jpg".

Edited by Martin L

Sounds like the 3rd party programs are having a problem with unicode filenames.

What are your locale, language & keyboard settings?

Have you disabled 8.3 filename creation?

Is it all apps other than Microsoft ones which have the problem?

Try IrfanView - http://www.irfanview.com - as I know this can open images with non-English characters in, so that will let you know if the problem is with the apps or the OS settings.

No m8,

neither IrfanView, XnView, FastStone Image Viewer, cam2pc - Image Browser are working... New versions all downloaded this morning... :(

All non windows apps are not seeing them as they are. I have greek windows and greek settings. Languages greek and us english. The filenames are long (about what you said about 8.3).

No m8,

neither IrfanView, XnView, FastStone Image Viewer, cam2pc - Image Browser are working... New versions all downloaded this morning... :(

All non windows apps are not seeing them as they are. I have greek windows and greek settings. Languages greek and us english. The filenames are long (about what you said about 8.3).

Hmm, and a file named "rång.jpg" would be passed to the application as "rang.jpg" which results in a "file not found" error, when doubleclicking on the file in Explorer or through their own File/Open dialogues?

Assuming IrfanView is installed in the default location, try this:

- start a command prompt

- navigate to the folder where the image "rång.jpg" is held using the "cd" command

- enter the command line: dir /x

- verify that the file "rång.jpg" has a short filename of "RNG~1.JPG"

- enter the command line (complete with quotes): "c:\program files\irfanview\i_view32.exe" rång.jpg

- does the image open?

You are using the standard Explorer shell, no replacement 3rd party one?

Does the same happen for all users on this machine?

Create a brand new user and try to get them to open the file to see if it is somehow profile-related.

Thanks for the reply

i tried what you said but the filename appears under the dos promt as "RNG~1.JPG" and the full name looks like "r?ng.jpg"!! (strange this or not? but even in ms word i can open the image)

I tried the command line and the image cant be open this way too. I have stantard windows explorer

Thank u very much for the concerning

i tried what you said but the filename appears under the dos promt as "RNG~1.JPG" and the full name looks like "r?ng.jpg"!! (strange this or not? but even in ms word i can open the image)

Couldn't comment on whether that is normal for the Greek version of Windows, only ever used English myself, with different keyboard layouts - however at a command prompt on my PC it shows the following:

C:\>dir r* /x
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 9019-A770

Directory of C:\

2005-12-27 23:09 20 RNG~1.JPG rång.jpg
1 File(s) 20 bytes
0 Dir(s) 11 350 859 776 bytes free

I tried the command line and the image cant be open this way too. I have stantard windows explorer

Did you try with another user logged on?

Does it make any difference if you have Greek or English selected in the language bar?

Does the same happen for any file containing a non-English character - even Greek ones?

I tried other user it is the same.

With greek filenames/characters everything is ok.

"Does it make any difference if you have Greek or English selected in the language bar?" No

It is just non unicode supporting programs. Just downloaded an image viewer with unicode support and it works fine. It's not so good as acdsee or FastStone Image Viewer but it handles unicode filenames perfect.

Vallen Freeware , Vallen "JPegger"

Is this only a problem with files downloaded through this "DC++" thing?

This could be an issue specific to non-English versions of Windows, unicode was created to make the world of multi-language applications easier - that 'å' is displayed as '?' at a command prompt is a concern.

Alternatively, the problem may be the creation of files by this DC++ program.

Try this:

- open a command prompt, navigate to the folder containing rång.jpg

- enter the command: copy rång.jpg r.jpg

- verify that r.jpg can be opened with any application

- enter the command: ren r.jpg rå.jpg

- enter the command: dir /x

- does the long filename for ra.jpg have a '?' in it?

- verify if rå.jpg can be opened with any application

Note: to get the character 'å' at the command prompt, hold down the left ALT and type 134 on the numeric keypad

"to get the character 'å' at the command prompt, hold down the left ALT and type 134 on the numeric keypad"

Unfortunelly with alt and 134 i get greek Η. I tried others codes but i got only english and greek characters and of course symbols and special char.

This happens with DC++ because it is the only sourse to get files from languages like these. If i had other sourse i guess that i had the same problem. But in other forums and sites they were talking for image viewers that are not unicode supporting as i mentioned in table in my previous post.

The issue with dos might be because of greek windows. Are dos unicode? Maybe it isnt. It has codepage 737 if i remember good and i think that's all.

thanks

matrix1

ps. with greek H insteed of "å" the file is opened at non unicode supporting viewers.

Note:!!! To write å i use copy-paste. So i made copy-paste at dos prompt and the "å" came up as "?"!!!!. So i think dos is not unicode supporting neither.

This is a known issue for some programs in non-English OSes.

The easiest workaround is to rename the filename to the default language of your OS.

Another method is to try (but no promise it'll always work) setting the system locale to the particular language of the filename in:

Regional and Language Options > Advanced > Select a language to match...

The above could also be done by MS AppLocale.

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/apploc.mspx

To clarify the extended character issue: what you get when you type (with the Alt + numeric keys) would vary depending on the default codepage, so what you get with En would not necessarily be the same in other language OSes.