[Help] - Windows explorer using 100% cpu

paul8345

I'm having problems with having iTunes and Explorer open at the same time. I have over 7000 mp3 files and allow iTunes to manage them. This means thousands of file folders that often have either one folder or only one file in them. I have a 40G system drive that is 95% full & a 120G data drive that is about 30% full. The problem is that when i update files in iTunes is appears to be dynamically updating & refreshing the window in explorer and chewing up system resources. It sometimes takes more than a minute after I revise a file before the explorer window comes back. Task manager indicates that I am using 100% cpu trying to update the explorer files.

My question: Do I have a disk cache problem, or is there a bigger problem with Windows xp? I plan to move my files to the data disk which should free my system disk and get me about 15G of free space. I have a Pentium III system, 1.2 GHz, 512 Meg of RAM. Any input would be appreciated.

Title Edited - Please follow new posting rules from now on.

--Zxian

You say you've got a 40GB disk 95% full? My guess is going to be a disk cache issue, especially if you've got the pagefile on the 40GB drive. Anytime you have less than 15% free space on a drive, you'll start running into issues such as these with heavy disk access or updates.

You say you've got a 40GB disk 95% full? My guess is going to be a disk cache issue, especially if you've got the pagefile on the 40GB drive. Anytime you have less than 15% free space on a drive, you'll start running into issues such as these with heavy disk access or updates.

yes i agree with that ... 95% full on system drive aint good... defragged lately?

Thanks for the help. I moved my music files to my data drive and am now at about 50% capacity. I also moved my page file to the data disk, defragmented my system drive, and moved the page file back. It now works much better. In fact, a lot of nuisance issues have also gone away. Thanks for the feedback.