Windows Server 2003 Crash

weslleywang

Hi,

I just got a custom computer a local computer dealer. here is the spec.:

AMD A64 3500+ (939)

Mainboard: Asus A8V-E SE

Memory: OCZ 1024M Dual Channel Premier

Video Card: ATI Radeon X550 256M ( PCI-E 16X )

Hard Drive: 160G SATA II

I install Windows Server 2003 Enterprise on it. From yesterday, it crashed right after login screen.

In the blue screen, the error message like:

Stop Error 0x000008E (0xC0000005 0x808B4636 0xF711A914 0x00000000)

I can login as safe mode. I tried uninstall ATI video driver which does not work.

I tried create a new user and login as this new user. still crash.

It's not about HaxDoor virus mentioned in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903251/en-us

What kind of problem it could be? How I can find out? Is there any way I can fix it except re-install Windows Server 2003?

Thank you

Merry Christmas

Wes

A Stop 8E error maps to "Setup_Failure" as it's error code, and the resulting memory dump should tell us a bit as to what is causing the error the next time this occurs - if you can even get that far.

First, I'd strongly suggest running a repair installation to see if it is a Windows system file that has gone corrupt or has been replaced with a less-than-stable version by a driver or application. Second, if the repair install didn't work, I'd install Windows 2003 again, but this time without installing any drivers - assuming the installation is stable, start installing drivers one at a time and rebooting until the problem recurs.

STOP 0x8E = KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

0xC0000005 = STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION

A kernel mode driver has tried to access memory it doesn't have rights to, so one of your 3rd party drivers is buggy or a core one could be corrupt.

The system event log should have a record giving a little bit of information regarding the affected driver - although it is possible that this driver was the victim of memory corruption from one of the other drivers on the system.

To check for corruptions when the occur, rather than when the corruption is detected and brings the system down, you can enable special pool:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188831/EN-US/

Alternatively you can use the "driver verifier" tool to enable debug logging on a per-driver basis (start with all 3rd party drivers tagged):

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;244617

When you have this extra debug logging in place then the memory dump should give a more accurate root cause for the crash, and the stack of the running thread should idenify the process and driver.