[Help] - XP laptop network install

JBC2005

Great forum!

I have a question I hope someone can answer.

I have a laptop (NEC Versa 6230) that doesn't have an operating system or a CDROM drive (it does have a floppy). I also have a Linksys WPC11 wireless network card. My question is this : how can I install Windows XP onto the laptop from my PC (connected to a network via wireless router)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

JBC2005

Title Edited - Please follow new posting rules from now on.

--Zxian

Edited by Zxian

You'll have quite the time getting your network card working in DOS if it's a wireless card - I know of no wireless DOS drivers (although I could be wrong). You will need to A ) place the hard disk in another laptop that has network access and copy files to the disk that way, b ) get a PCMCIA network card (wired) that can boot in DOS, or c ) get an external USB or firewire CD ROM drive.

Edited by cluberti

You'll have quite the time getting your network card working in DOS if it's a wireless card - I know of no wireless DOS drivers (although I could be wrong). You will need to A ) place the hard disk in another laptop that has network access and copy files to the disk that way, b ) get a PCMCIA network card (wired) that can boot in DOS, or c ) get an external USB or firewire CD ROM drive.

You're right, there's no known wireless network card driver, but I ment of the NIC that he probably have on the laptop, and could get drivers from the manufacturer's web site..

Edited by N1K

I have XP running on the laptop now (using another laptop to format the drive and copying I386 to it was a pain in the a**) :D . I have a larger HDD on order, and I just thought it would be easier to copy the files to the drive over a network. The laptop does not have a built in NIC, nor does it have an internal modem. And, you're right. I can't find dos drivers for a wireless PCMCIA card.

I'll just hook up the drive to the other laptop (only a P166, but at least it has a CD drive! :blushing: ) and copy the I386 folder to it and install XP that way!

Thanks very much for your help. Hope I can return the favor! :thumbup

JBC2005