Would like to install iTunes "WIthout" Quicktime

millhouselives

Hi,

I am a new member! This looks like a really great forum. I need some help with Installing iTunes. Here is my unique problem. I am helping a friend and he has a third-party custom application that previews his photos via his projection (he is a photographer). The name of that program is Prism Projector. Now when Prism is installed it also installs a version of QuickTime (6.5.2 I believe) as part of the Prism install.

Now he had iTunes on this computer and it was working, until, and this is the problem he received a notice (popup) to upgraded iTunes so he did...well when he upgraded to iTunes 6.0; iTunes installed version 7.3 of QuickTime which ended up making the Prism Projector application not work (will not start at all).

I emailed my friends contact who sold him Prism Projector and he said that their were big problems with Prism and QT 7.3. Ok, so now I uninstalled QT, Prism, iTunes and started over. At this point I have Prism installed and QT 6.5.2 which gets automatically installed when Prism is installed both working as they should.

Now...I have been trying to find a way to install iTunes "without" having it install QT. I tried looking for an earlier version of iTunes and found iTunes 5 on this forum but it too installs a version of QT.

Does anybody know how I can get a version of iTunes to install that will either not install QT and just install iTunes application? Thank you in advance...this is making me crazy..all I want to do is get his computer back to the way it was before he did the iTunes upgrade. Oh! operating system is XP Home. :crazy:

Thank You both for replying! Rikgale, I read thru the post and it was most helpful. There are some very smart (seapagan) people on this forum. I was able to download the version of iTunes 4.9.0.17. I tried it on my wifes work computer and it installed but it came up with a message that it needed a version of QT that is higher than 6.4. She has QT 6.1 on her computer, I decided not to upgrade her copy of QT because it is her work computer and if I screw it up she will kill me but the important fact is that iTunes 4.9.0.17 did start and did INFORM me that it needed a higher version of QT installed, instead of iTunes installing one on its own.

Now…if my notes are correct and my memory serves me correctly the version of QuickTime that installed with the Prism Projector software installation on my friend computer is QuickTime version 6.5.2. If I am correct then the 4.9.0.17 version of iTunes will install on his computer and my problem will be solved! Thanks again! I will be able to try today, so I will leave another post to let all knows what the result was!

Rikgale, I installed the version of iTunes 4.9.0.17 on my friend computer, it installed fine, when I opened it we received a message telling us that iTunes could not use the music files on his computer because the music files were inported using a different/newer version of iTunes! So I am going to have him check what version of iTunes he has at home on his home computer.

In the meantime, just a quick question, if we end up using the downloaded version 5.01 of iTunes from RapidShare to install on his computer should I try and uninstall 4.9.0.17 or should I just run the install file for version 5.01 of iTunes? thank you for any help!

I'm gonna say just install it over the top, but I'd like to stress that I am not 100% sure. I always install from a totally clean install as this installer was created to be run from a UA disc, but can happily be run as a stand alone. I have upgraded from 5.0.1 to 6.x without any probs so I can see why going from 4 to 5 will be a problem, so long as you have the version of QT that it needs to run.

I hope that this helps, sort of.......:)

Pls post back with how it goes!

Cheers

Rik