Cd-drive problem

Hi i am selling my computer box for $250 to my aunt. But before i do that i was going to take out my dvd-cdrw combo drive out and replace it with another one. I have 2 cd-drives in at the time and the were both working fine and windows could detect them. So i took out my dvd-drive combo and installed a different cdrw drive, i put it with the same configuration and same place as my dvd drive. But my comp will only detect my cdwr drive and not the other. I thought i might have stuffed up the cables on the first driveSo i pulled out the cables at the back of the cdrw drive to see if it sees the other drive. It worked so it wasn't the cd-drive. I connected the cdrw drive back up and the same thing happend it could only detect the cdwr drive and not the other one. I dont know what the problem is. i've tried looking at device manager and add hardware and all thoughs hardware support stuff and it still doesn't regester my drive is in and pluged in. I can still put cds in there but they wont play. Its as if the cdwr drive takes the whole cord to it self. I used to be able to put both drives the dvd copmbo and the cd drive on one cord but it dosen't seem to work with the cdrw drive. PLz help

Thanks

Sounds like you need to check the jumper settings on the CD drives. If you want to have two IDE devices on one channel you have two options:

1. jumper one device to "master" and one to "slave"

2. jumper both to "cable select"

in bios when the cdwr is in it wont even be able to see the drive but it still works when the cdrw is disconnected. I was going through the modes and it had aptai or somthing like that and that is the model of my cd drive would that help if i changed it to that?

thanks that tells me alot one more thing though, which is better both cable or one master and one slave???

Alright i tried it on one primary and one slave and it works fine thankyou for the help

Edited by daz98

thanks that tells me alot one more thing though, which is better both cable or one master and one slave???

Alright i tried it on one primary and one slave and it works fine thankyou for the help

Cable select might be better in a situation where drives are constantly being moved around. Other than that, I cant see how one would be any better than the other.

If you still want more info you could read this short article.

Edited by ssmokee

thankyou that explains alot thanks for the help

i might ask you more when i get some of my computer parts and when i start building my new computer from scratch

Edited by daz98