[Question] - Strange Logoff issues after network upgrade?

qpshelp

Hello,

I recently completed a network upgrade for my company. We changed some IP addresses, and implimented DHCP on another segment. For some reason now, I have a few laptops that seem to hang when you logout of them. (It goes to a blank background, and it sits there atleast 5 mintues before you will see "closing network connections" dialog box pop up.) This INCLUDES the local administrator account. This is only laptops, and I want to say that there is some sort of record still pointing to an old network address that is causing this to hang. I've installed and ran uphclean, but this does absolutly nothing for me. I've verified that no drives are attempting to connect/disconnect, (that I can physically see) I've flushed the dns several times, and I still have no luck. Why gets me the most is the fact that this is happening for any person who logs in, including local accounts.

anyone have any ideas on what may be causing this hangup?

QUICK UPDATE: I found out the problem, although I need some help trying to pinpoint it.

Eventvwr reveals:

Windows saved user (domain/username) registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

now my question is: does anyone know how I can find out what service or application is causing this???

Thanks!!!!

Try this VBS script it will force a log off I use it on Vista and XP SP2

I have included other varibles for the script that you may find use full.

Save As LogOff.VBS

Const LogOff = 0, Shutdown = 1, Reboot = 2,PowerOff = 8

Dim WMISrv, StrOS, ObjOS

Set objComputer = CreateObject("Shell.LocalMachine")

'''' FORCED EVENTS

'LogOff + 4,Shutdown + 4, Reboot + 4,PowerOff + 4

strComputer = "" & objComputer.MachineName & ""

Set WMISrv = GetObject("winmgmts:" _

& "{impersonationLevel=impersonate,(Shutdown)}\\"_

& strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

Set ObjOS = WMISrv.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_OperatingSystem")

For Each StrOS in ObjOS

StrOS.Win32Shutdown(LogOff + 4)

Next

Edited by gunsmokingman