WSUS

rakem

I have just download WSUS and am testing it to see if we will install it on our network and so far the answe is a big NO!

I cannot get my computer to be displayed in the group i have created. I have installed all the required software components e.g. BITS 2.0, .net and IIS. I have created a OU and put my user name in that OU and have configured a group policy to enable client side targeting, I have set the address for the WSUS server and configured all the other options in the goup policy that I want. (I know that the GP is working because i have disabled things like run and help from the start menu, so the GP is being applied ok)

The WSUS server is set to use the group policy settings, I have waited over an hour for the cookies to expire and have also forced a group policy update using the gpupdate /force command. The only thing i can see that might be causing this is the SQL server service on the task bar of the WSUS server is not running, and when i open it up there is nothing to select in the services section.

WSUS is running on windows 2003 standard with all the current updates installed.

can someone please help me on this as i would really like to use this program.

thanks.

Something that caused me some trouble was ghosted images of machines.

I found a sid change tool to give the pc a new sid, and then it appeared, although it was one of a number of pc's that were showing up as one pc in wsus.

Have installed this on a few domains now, and find it a much better option than sus.

Maybe you could uninstall it and then install a different sql server, then use that. At one domain I have this running in tandem with blackberry exchange, sharing it's sql 2000 db, no probs at all.

Cheers Gordo

Also, along the imaging vein, I've seen sysprep'ed and riprep'ed machines show up with the same SUSSID (WSUS assigns each PC a SID of it's own, and imaged machines have a habit of getting the same SID from the WSUS server). Deleting the SUSSID does help in a lot of cases with machines not showing up in the computer list in WSUS, so keep that in mind as well.

:hello:

Try running this batch file to get the client checking in. It takes anywhere between 1 - 8 minutes usually to check in with the wsus server.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555453

Can you go to the server and open the SQL Enterprise Manager tool and check that the sql server is running and that there is a SUSBD database.

Also Check that Automatic Updates service is running on the PC.