[Error] - file missing or corrupt: vgaoem.fon

ZelenVR

Went to boot up WinXP-Home the other day and after the manufacturer screen I get a message saying:

Windows could not start. The following file is missing or corrupted \windows\system\vgaoem.fon.

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows setup using the original setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

I cannot boot in safe mode, last know good config, etc.... It always comes back to that message.

I followed all the steps found here http://castlecops.com/print-1-90827.html

After typing in the EXPAND command line instead of getting this Vgaoem.fo_

1 file(s) expanded. I get a message saying the file could not be created and 0 files had been expanded.

I'm not sure why this happens but I wanted to know if there is a remedy for this problem.

Also I considered re-installing WinXP on top of the old version. If I do that I should be able to get to all of my files right? If I can get to my files, I'm just going to save them all to my external HD then use my recovery CDs to wipe the computer back to square one. It could use it anyway. I just dont want to lose my files and wanted to check to see what the result of reinstalling WinXP would be.

TIA all. :thumbup

You can install other copy of WinXP on other HDD without your system`s HDD and directly copy this file to your first system after turn on your first HDD and boot from new system on safe mode (without new activation)

Whoa.....ok let me see if I got this.

So you're saying to install WinXP onto my external HD? It's just a USB plug in 160GB HD that I use to back stuff up. How would I do that?

I cant get my computer to do ANYTHING beyond changing BIOS settings by hitting "Del" during startup. After I exit the BIOS settings and it starts to boot WinXP I get that message. I cant boot WinXP in ANY mode, I am using a friend's PC at the moment.

Make sure you have copied vgaeom.fo_ to your hard drive. If you're trying to do the expand in the CD directory itself it isn't going to work because it can't write to the CD. Or give it a full path to extract to. I'm not sure if expand will overwrite an existing file so you may want to rename the original file before attempting this.

Make sure you have copied vgaeom.fo_ to your hard drive. If you're trying to do the expand in the CD directory itself it isn't going to work because it can't write to the CD. Or give it a full path to extract to. I'm not sure if expand will overwrite an existing file so you may want to rename the original file before attempting this.

Thanks for posting, I was starting to worry that no one can help me :no:

I typed the EXPAND command line exactly as it said to, expand d:\i386\vgaoem.fo_ c:\windows\system

And when I used the MAP command it said that my D: drive was the cd-rom drive so no worries there.

How do I rename the existing file from the command prompt?? I'm not that familar with this side of things.

Have you tried running a chkdsk of your boot drive.

The error messages like this I have seen when windows didnt shutdown cleanly resulting in file corruption, and has fixed 99% of pc's where I work that wouldnt boot before.

Have you tried running a chkdsk of your boot drive.

The error messages like this I have seen when windows didnt shutdown cleanly resulting in file corruption, and has fixed 99% of pc's where I work that wouldnt boot before.

If you could walk me through that it'd be great. I'm not sure how to do that from the command prompt.

Edited by ZelenVR

Yes, its done from the command prompt. You really need to use the recovery console.

Set your pc so that it can boot from CDROM, then insert your XP CD and restart your pc,

when prompted press a key so it boots from CD.

when prompted press "R" for repair using recovery console.

when prompted for windows XP install to repair select the required option (Usually 1)

if prompted enter the administrator password for your install.

type chkdsk

when finished type exit and your pc should restart.

Edited by mannyo

Yes, its done from the command prompt. You really need to use the recovery console.

Set your pc so that it can boot from CDROM, then insert your XP CD and restart your pc,

when prompted press a key so it boots from CD.

when prompted press "R" for repair using recovery console.

when prompted for windows XP install to repair select the required option (Usually 1)

if prompted enter the administrator password for your install.

type chkdsk

when finished type exit and your pc should restart.

OK, did that and it said:

The volume appears to be in good condition and was not checked. Use /p if you want to check th evolume anyway.

What does it mean use /p?

EDIT: ok, figured it out chkdsk C: /p its doing its thing, stay tuned....

Edited by ZelenVR

It stopped at 33% and said the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.

What now?? :}

What if I deleted the vgaoem.fon file off the computer and then did the expand thing again? Would that work and if so, how would I do that??

OK, after a little familiarization with DOS and some help from a buddy I got my computer past the error screen and to the point where I get the Windows logo and the little blue bar that you normally get when Windows loads. After that though, when it usually would goto the 'Welome' screen and let me log in, it just goes black and sits there. The drive light is still on just nothing is happening. I've gone back to DOS from the CD (WinXP CD and then hit 'r') a few times and run CHKDSK and FIXBOOT and FIXMBR, CHKDSK several times. Instead of saying there are one or more it cant fix, now it says that it found and fixed something. Still loads only halfway though.

Have two questions at this point:

1) Anyone have any ideas or suggestions for this??

2) Can I boot WinXP from another drive? I plugged my USB external HD in and when I used the MAP command in DOS it showed up as a D:/ drive. Is there a way to load WinXP on it and have it boot off of there and then access the C:/ drive from there? Or is there a way to connect to my C:/ drive from another computer with it partially booted like this? All I want to do at this point is get files off my computer and then wipe it and start fresh. I cant lose these files though. Any ideas?

It sounds as though you've got a bad drive. I'd see if you can back up all the data that is on there and then try re-formatting the drive. If that doesn't solve problems (or new file access problems arise), you may have a hard drive that's on its way out.

It sounds as though you've got a bad drive. I'd see if you can back up all the data that is on there and then try re-formatting the drive. If that doesn't solve problems (or new file access problems arise), you may have a hard drive that's on its way out.

Thats pretty much the conclusion that I've come to as well, but I still need to get into Windows to get files off of there before I wipe the computer. I have pictures and videos from when I was in Iraq that are irreplacable as well as other documents that I cannot lose.

Can anyone answer any of my questions or help with this problem??

You don't need to start Windows to access your files. Download a copy of Knoppix, or build a BartPE disk and boot from one of them. If you have access to an external USB hard drive, you can transfer files to it (plug it in before booting), or with the help of some plugins in BartPE, you can burn the data directly to a CD (if you have a second drive). I'm not sure if Knoppix has CD burning support.

You don't need to start Windows to access your files. Download a copy of Knoppix, or build a BartPE disk and boot from one of them. If you have access to an external USB hard drive, you can transfer files to it (plug it in before booting), or with the help of some plugins in BartPE, you can burn the data directly to a CD (if you have a second drive). I'm not sure if Knoppix has CD burning support.

Now THATS what I´m talking about!!! :D Can you walk me through this, in ID-10-T proof steps?? What do I need to do this? Just another laptop and my USB HD?? Getting it to my HD would be just fine, its a 160GB and my laptop is only a 40GB. If possible I just want to copy the whole C:/ drive onto it. Not familar with Knoppix or BartPE, but I'm a quick learner. Where can I find them (download.com?) If this works, I´m naming my firstborn after you, even if they DO make fun of him. :D

Thanks again, Zelen