Lets update that one OS everyone loves to hate!

Daemonforce

I have a copy of Windows NT 4.0 Server +SP1 and I've been trying to get it into a stage where it can be tested in VMware without any hassle. I have been looking for guides on updating this old OS and how to update it, but all I find is the $OEM$ method. I don't like that. I want to create a direct integration the way service packs effect post-Win2000 distributions. I was wondering if anyone is willing to post a guide on how to do this since I find a few complications along the way. Windows 2000 doesn't have IE6 pre-packaged, so I'm probably going to run into that crap and try tricking XPCREATE into updating IE5/6 into NT4...:blink: Oh wait yeah I am, because I keep finding stuff that says NT can't do a direct update from pre-SP3 straight to SP6a. -_-

I currently have these:

NT 4.0 Server +IE4.0 +SP1 (FPP)

Service Pack 4

Service Pack 6

Internet Explorer 6 redistribution package

nLite

XPCREATE

HFSLIP

Enough courage to mess with DOSNET and TXTSETUP if and when necessary. :w00t:

Flash 8

VMware

A lot of time

Something tells me that IE6 isn't going to be compatible with this project right off the bat and I'm going to need to hunt down IE5 redistribution files...I'm not so concerned about functionality between the server and Microsoft, as long as everything else works the way it's intended.

I would like to begin by integrating the appropriate service pack to annihilate any installation issues that SP1 gives me and then slipstream IE5/6 if necessary/possible and then integrate SP6 if the first step isn't already taken care of.

I see ONE guide that claims it's safe to overwrite the primitive TXTSETUP files to fix installation procedures, but it's a bit hazy to say the least. Has anyone else thought about trying this and what steps should I be taking before attempting to make a new build?

I know this can be done because I've seen it done before. I just never cared for it because I didn't have NT 4 at the time. It looks like NT 4 would have been my choice OS to start out with instead of Win95 back in...The day. :) This OS may still be in the graveyard, but not according to 30% of small businesses that are short on upgrade funds.

o.O

You have a point. =/ I don't have any problem with it now that I've already tried it. But outside connections are faulty. I blame vmware...

The unattend script doesn't work correctly on NT4 and in debug mode it just hangs when looking for drives. I'm done with it. x_X'

i had nt4 transaction server which had sp3 built in.

i manually copied over files from hotfixes. oh my. see, i had no choice. i had old hardware that nt worked on, but not win2k / xp / whatever.

after one month of twiddling, i had a very unstable winnt 4 with many sp5 and sp6a and hotfix files that i immediately had to apply sp6a and the hotfixes to anyway to achieve stability.

my own personal feeling: i agree with you, too much trouble.