Game isntallation directory and the registry

drscouse

I am wondering if I install games onto a different disk/drive, other than my OS drive... and then format my OS drive, and reinstall windows... will I still be able to play the games without problem??? Do the games install teg entries necessary to play, and if so.. does a simple export/improt work ok???

I want to keep all my installed games sseperate from the OS, so that in the case of rebuilds, I dont have to worry about moving/saving game information. Also, games take up a huge amount of space, and I would prefer they were on a different dedicated partition...

STEAM, and HL2 download etc... works fine, but I know thats a bit different from a conventional CD install.

I will prob try anyway, just to see, as is the best way.. but just wanted an opinion/advice...

Thanks

hmm, most apps/games also add files to %system% folders in addition to reg keys.

My solution:

Install Windows to C:

Install Games to D:

Use Acronis True Image to make a backup of the C: drive

When i want to revert back, just move my documents etc to D: and then use Acronis to roll it back to the state it was 'originally'.

depends on the game.

RvS doesnt require a re-install (just re-enter cd key), niether does q4, steam needs to "re-update" for lack of a better term (i keep my steam directory on another drive), nascar racing 2k3 requires a full re-install (i just cut/paste/rename my current install, re-install, then copy the "old" over the new). other than that its up to you to find out :thumbup