Booting WinPE 2004 from Vista Bootloader - Help

campbrs

Hello, I am looking for a guide to boot WinPE 2004 from the newer Vista bootloader from an ISO or WIM (preferably) format from RAM.

I can get the ISO to boot to the setupldr.bin (using Windows 2003 SP1 setupldr.bin) but it fails to load NTDETECT (tried XP, Vista, and 2003 SP1 NTDETECT).

Also how do I build a bootable WIM file from WinPE 2004?

Here is the boot.ini I am using:

[boot loader]

timeout=20

default=ramdisk(0)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

ramdisk(0)\WINDOWS="WinPE Longhorn" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT /DETECTHAL /MININT /rdpath=multi(0)disk(0)cdrom(0)\boot\winpelhe.wim /RDSDIHDRPATH=multi(0)disk(0)cdrom(0)\boot\boot.sdi /USENEWLOADER

ramdisk(0)\I386\SETUPLDR.BIN="WinPE 2004" /NOGUIBOOT /FASTDETECT /MININT /RDEXPORTASCD /rdpath=multi(0)disk(0)cdrom(0)\boot\winpe2004.iso

Thanks In Advance,

Richard

• 1 month later...

I have gotten past the issues above, but now I get a Blue Screen with a license violation when starting WinPE 2005.

Any ideas?

I set up WinPE 2005 as a Hard Disk boot per the help file, and copied setupreg.hiv to the system32\config\SYSTEM file. Then I created a bootable WIM image of this folder structure.

Any ideas on where to go from here? Or how to build a valid SYSTEM hive for WinPE 2005?

Thanks,

Richard

Edited by campbrs

really boot WinPE2005 from Vista bootloader? are there more details?

Microsoft document says PE2005 only supports Win2K3 SP1 and XPSP2, and I just installed

Vista beta(5259), C:\NTLDR was not found, C:\NTDETECT.COM not found too, it seems to be

replaced by C:\BOOTMGR, not knowing the interface for dual-boot....