MSN versus Router - problems

redfender

I have two computers logged on to Broadband - a Mac and a PC, requiring a router to service both. It all works fine, except for my daughter's MSN (on the PC - vs. 7.5) which has never worked properly since we came off slowband and got the router.

I like the fact that the router + Norton together stop any unwanted incoming traffic apart from the stuff we let in on purpose; however, she can't get messages in from other people using MSN. Any suggestions?

Thanks

(She's desperate!! :( )

Switching from dialup to broadband is a common problem for most applications, as they are setup to look for a dial tone.

There are several viable options:

1. Start MSN, do not sign in, and navigate to tools-> options -> connections. Run the tests. Check the Advanced options settings and clear all values out.

2. If the previous does not resolve the issue, uninstall msn messenger and download a copy from http://messenger.msn.com/

3. Make sure norton is allowing msn messenger to send packets to the server, meaning the application should have an global allow rule set. Your router does not need any settings changed, for using msn messenger.

Edited by epic