Creating alias for files

D8TA

I did a quick search for an answer on this board but didn't find aything. It was a long time ago but someone showed me how to take a file and create an alias for that file but it was done in the registry. I cannot remember for the life of me how to do it again. Basically there was an .exe file, we'll call it open. You could go to Start|Run and key in open and even if open.exe was buried 4 directories deep the open in the run line was enough to launch the application. Am I making any sense? If not I will try to clarify.

Found my answer....

A hidden feature in the Windows registry allows you to create program aliases. Allowing you to create, for example, an alias called JBLOGGS.EXE that when executed actually runs another program, e.g. NOTEPAD.EXE

Open your registry and find the key below, below it should be a number of sub-keys.

To create a new alias create a sub-key, and call it the name of the alias you wish to create (e.g. "JBLOGGS.EXE").

Modify the (default) value of the sub-key to equal the fully qualified path and filename of the application you want to be launched when you execute the alias (e.g. "c:\windows\notepad.exe").

Exit your registry and to test use the Start -> Run command type in the name of your alias (i.e. "JBLOGGS.EXE") and the aliased program should be launched, in this case Notepad.

Open your registry and find the key below, below it should be a number of sub-keys.

To create a new alias create a sub-key, and call it the name of the alias you wish to create (e.g. "JBLOGGS.EXE").

It's not clear what key you're talking about. Instead of copy/paste you could simply give a link:

Creating Program Aliases in Windows

Edited by VAD