Back up data or not?

I´m going to install a new hdd and the new one should be master and of course the old one slave.They are both ATA 100.

Do i need to back up data from the old disk or can i just install the new disk and copy some things later from old to new?

Are you going to be installing an OS on this new drive or is it just for storing data?

If it is just storing data you can copy it over once the drive has formatted.

If you are installing an OS, unplug the old HD, that way you won't accidentley install the OS on the old HD

Edited by rikgale

Are you going to be installing an OS on this new drive or is it just for storing data?

I´m going to install xp into one partion on the new one (30gb) and then i´m going to have two other partions (85gb x 2) one partion for music/movies and the last one for something else.Is that ok?

I´m going to copy some music/movies etc from old to new later and then i´m going to delete everything in the old disk.

Maybe i´m going to make 2 or 3 partions on the old one later (80gb x 2) or (40 + 60 + 60) i don´t know right know.

I think i´m going to use the old disk as a back up for some music/movies etc.

The disk will be auto-detected in bios but is there anything else i need to do in bios?

I know i have to move some jumpers on my disks,but i think i can handle that.

Cd-rom/Hdd/Floppy is 1/2/3 boot device right now.