User settings

At the end of my unattended install runs a batch file that imports registry settings (most of it ar settings to visual styles, start menu settings etc.)

Question :

Is there a way to set these settings as default for any new user that will be created?

I believe that if you apply them via cmdlines.txt at the t12 stage, as there is no user account created at this point, all reg tweaks will be applied to any/all created accounts....

This is the answer I got when I enquired...

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=56701&hl=

Importing them during install using CMDLINES.TXT imports the settings to the Default User profile. That way it's automatically applied to every new user that logs onto the machine. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

Ive not quite got that far to test out yet.... let me know how you get on... :D

When you import the regiostry settings through cmdlines.txt, the reg-settings referring to HKCU are taken for every new created user, because at this moment, only the default user exists. When you want to do it at a later moment,, you've got to import the settings to HKU\.Default, then the settings are taken for every user, who didn't login till now.

I believe that if you apply them via cmdlines.txt at the t12 stage, as there is no user account created at this point, all reg tweaks will be applied to any/all created accounts....

This is the answer I got when I enquired...

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=56701&hl=

Importing them during install using CMDLINES.TXT imports the settings to the Default User profile. That way it's automatically applied to every new user that logs onto the machine. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

Ive not quite got that far to test out yet.... let me know how you get on... :D

Ok, thanks!!

I will try it out.. And let you know :)

I imported the reg file troughout cmdlines.txt and it seems to work.

But some of the registry settings i apply are overwritten when a user log's on, somehow.

I fixed this by importing the registry settings in the HKEY_USERS\.Default .

Still testing these things but it seems ot work fine.

Other problem is when i create an extra user, normally when you boot it would ask witch user to logon. But it keeps logon on to the Administrator acount (automatically).

Anyone to help me out on that problem?

Have a look at "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon". There should be a value called "AutoAdminLogon". Set this one to 0 and problem should be solved.

Yes i could change that, will it still automatically logon with just 1 username (administrator) created?

When you want to do it at a later moment,, you've got to import the settings to HKU\.Default, then the settings are taken for every user, who didn't login till now.

The HKEY_USERS\.Default hive is for the logon screen settings, not the Default User Profile. To edit the Default User Profile follow these steps:

Start > Run > regedit

Navigate to HKEY_USERS

Click on File and choose Load Hive

Browse to the NTUSER.DAT file located in %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Documents and Settings\Default User\.

Enter a Key Name (i.e. DefaultUser)

You now have the Default User registry hive loaded and can make changes. Note that this will not make any changes to users who have already logged onto the system. Also, when you're done be sure to choose Unload Hive from the File menu with HKEY_USERS\DefaultUser selected. If you don't unload the hive then Windows won't be able to copy the NTUSER.DAT to any new profiles because the file will be in use.

The HKEY_USERS\.Default hive is for the logon screen settings, not the Default User Profile. To edit the Default User Profile follow these steps:

Start > Run > regedit

Navigate to HKEY_USERS

Click on File and choose Load Hive

Browse to the NTUSER.DAT file located in %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Documents and Settings\Default User\.

Enter a Key Name (i.e. DefaultUser)

You now have the Default User registry hive loaded and can make changes. Note that this will not make any changes to users who have already logged onto the system. Also, when you're done be sure to choose Unload Hive from the File menu with HKEY_USERS\DefaultUser selected. If you don't unload the hive then Windows won't be able to copy the NTUSER.DAT to any new profiles because the file will be in use.

Oke, i think i got that. But the next question, is it possible to copy the user.dat registry file from for example the administrator acount. (with all the correct user settings set)

Once i got that file, i can copy it during my unattended setup to the default user map.

Would that work? Ill test it anyway

Edited by AndreK

I tested replacing the ntuser.dat file in the default user file.. And it worked.

So this is a quite easy way to set all your registry settings for all users that will be created.

Be sure you unhide the existing ntuser.dat file before you replace it, otherwise you won't be able to overwrite the file.