how to change Logon/shutdown screen ?

hi everyone ...

I had a pdf document from this site about tuning Windows 2003 server to act like a workstation , I don't know the member who wrote it, but it's very good and very useful .

I have only one question concerning the logon screen, how to change it from the classic logon/shutdown screen (that is identical to windows 2000 logon screen) to the new style logon screen (like XP logon /shutdown screen .

actually this should be possible using group policy editor (gpedit.msc) , administrative templates --> system --> logon ; there's an option "always use classic logon" , I configured this option to "disabled", and this should be enough to change the logon screen as I see, but that didn't happen , and I really can't figure out the reason .

any help is much appreciated .

thanks

Oh, go to:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ThemeManager and edit the DllName to the msstyle that you want...

Example: DllName can be changed to %SystemRoot%\Resources\themes\Luna\Luna.msstyles or something else...

If you don't want any styles at all, leave that string blank...

I mean the login interface,

something like this for instance ,

_http://www.themexp.org/view_info.php?id=13201

thanks for your help and replies .

So have you tried there tutorial on it, and see if it works with windows 2003?

Logins

A nice tutorial on making logon screens is available here.

If you have multiple logon screens that you would like to select between, please look at this app. Looks like a very nice utility.

Backup (copy) the file %windir%\system32\logonui.exe (most likely C:\windows\system32\logonui.exe - the logon)

Download the .zip to your computer

Extract logonui.exe to a directory other than %windir%\system32 (most likely C:\windows\system32)

Reboot your computer into Safe Mode (hit F8 before the boot screen) or into true DOS (from a boot disk)

Overwrite the file %windir%\system32\logonui.exe (which should have been backed up) with the extracted exe

Reboot your computer as you normally would

Or posted on there forums?

as a function, it exists but it is disabled , you can use the tweaknt utility to verify this - if you change the program to windows xp home or pro you'll see the loin screen of windows xp , which means it is there but need something to release it .

• 2 years later...

Ok,

I've read and know exactly what you mean because I want to do the same thing. I keep hearing a mention of this "msgina.dll" among others and it makes me wonder if this file is the key...

I know there a few files to add from XP as well like fast.exe, nusrmgr.cpl and of course logonui.exe.... I'm going to experiment with this and see what happens....

Anyway, I'll try this and hope a few more of you can help.