Win Server 2003 network problem

Takuya

Hi All....

I bought new server with win server 2003, i try to connect network through hub.....but it not detect the order it keep state that cannot create the ip address.

I'm using modem and router (D-Link) to connect internet, usually when I plug in new computer it will automatic detect the ip adress 192.168.0.xxx. But for this case it detect ip address 169.254.0.0....I try to make fix ip address still nothing hapen.....

You said you tried a fixed IP address but nothing happened, but we don't know what it was you wanted to happen. Could you still not see the box or you could you not talk to it in some way that you thought you would be able to? I would not arbitrarily suggest using the Win2k3 box for DHCP. The router can handle that function fine. What is the purpose of the box? Is it a webserver, domain, database, etc.? If it's for a domain then you will definitely want to use it as the DHCP server if it's one of the other purposes not necessarily.

Just FYI andress of 169.254.x.x iss not a detected IP address. If you look in the logs it will tell you that it could not get an IP address from a DHCP server. Those addresses are what Windows assings to a machine that couldn't get a lease from a DHCP server.