XP Windows Update - d/l on different PC - HELP!

jimwillsher

Scenario:

Home PC running Windows XP Pro connected to the internet via 56K dialup (rural Britain - no b/b available). Full admin rights.

Work PC running Windows 2000 Pro connected to the internet via dual 2Mb lines. No admin rights.

Is there any way at all for me to download the XP Windows Update files at work, and then take them on CD-R to my home PC? Windows Update (v4.windowsupdate.com) tries to be smart and says I don't have admin rights and can't install the fixes, which is correct. However, it stupidly denies access to the Windows Update Catalog link, so I can't manually download them. :)

If I can obtain the Windows Update Q numbers required, can anyone point out links to files, or mirror sites, or something like that so that I can install them manually?

Many thanks,

Jim

you can have a look from home what updates you nee, write them down and then from work go to download.microsoft.com and manually download them, take them home and install them.

I dont know how you'll get them home from work unless you have a cdrw or zip drive at work

There's also another scenario, if you have a couple of PCs at home. This is my setup:

A server PC running Microsoft Software Update Services, leaving it to download all the updates available overnight on my 56k modem, (only has to be done once). Then whenver I need to format any of my workstations and install the updates, I configure the Automatic Updates client to point to my server rather than windows update, it instantly gets and installs all the updates. Handy when you want the job done quick on 2 or more machines. :)

You can find out more about SUS by clicking here