Shutting down Windows

Gagira

Well, I still have not figured out the cause of my shutdown problem and the problems seem to be getting worse. Now I can access Windows Media Player 10, but I can't get it to show the contents of the music library. Further, when I rip a CD the contents are not added to the library automatically, nor can I add files to the library by searching the computer. The search function opens a window (as normal), but then just hangs. I'm reasonably certain the problem is in the OS but have no idea where, or how to fix it short of doing a fresh install of XP.

Does anyone know any long term effects that this may cause. we have many users who are getting this profile unloading error. we have test uphclean and are not comfortable deploying it to all of our workstations yet. If this continues to go is there any documentation of profiles getting corrupted? Actually, reports of anything within the operating system, profiles, or the anti virus program getting corrupted. Right now its only causing users to have a slow log off time which i can deal with. we just dont want anything worse than that to come of it.

thanks in advance

The uphclean service only cleans up registry handles, so unless an application is using the registry as a database to store information (a horrible, horrible thing to do, btw), then there should be no issues using uphclean. It's a built-in service on Vista and Server 2008, btw.

Well, I still have not figured out the cause of my shutdown problem and the problems seem to be getting worse. Now I can access Windows Media Player 10, but I can't get it to show the contents of the music library. Further, when I rip a CD the contents are not added to the library automatically, nor can I add files to the library by searching the computer. The search function opens a window (as normal), but then just hangs. I'm reasonably certain the problem is in the OS but have no idea where, or how to fix it short of doing a fresh install of XP.

Can you get a memory dump of it hung, preferrably for a minute or so?

I don't know about a memory dump. I can look at memory by using the dubug cmd, but I don't have any idea what to look at, or where. What specifically would I be looking for and where would I look? Is it possible to set up a memory dump log or something in advance--so I can get the memory dumped to a log file when the failure to shutdown happens? If I could do that, then I could look at it after the fact. If someone knows how to do what needs to be done please tell me.

Edited by Astronomer70