strange network behavior

Mr. Spock

I got over here 2 computers both working on WinXP

The first computer has 2 networking cards 1 is conected to the internet and the second nic contected to my router is conecting the second computer.

It's in principale working fine.

Although when i have done a clean install of windows when i want to transfer 1 file to the other computer it goes very fast about 700 mb in 4 min.

But lately the same file size take's around 25 min.

I chanced both nics speed to a 100 MB and that didn't help

When i chance the cables and internet to the other nic and the networking to the other it is again transfering very fast while the nic speed is standing at auto detect, but after a day or 2 it's transfering very slow again

What can it be that the transfering of files suddenly get so slow ?

any advice will be very apriciated

First, this is probably none of my business, but why do you have the network set up in the way that you do. What I mean by this is why do you have two NICs in the PC with one connecting to the internet and one connecting to a router? Versus the traditional setup where all your PC's would connect to the built in ethernet switch on the router, and then the Internet to the WAN interface on the router?

The only reason I ask is that most times I find its better to keep things simple if possible. Anyways I'm affraid other than your network setup I can't offer any advice as to why your problem is happening. It is possible that something is causing a lot of extra traffic on your network, but that is just a theory.

I use my main computer for downloading and sharing, and because i bhought a cheap router it can't handle a lot of conections.

It start to hang when i have to many incomming connections.

I checked my computer on virusses, also on spyware but nothing showed up.

So it's really strange.

the only thing i could suggest for this is check the routers settings for anything related to speed, if that fails totally uninstall and reinstall all NIC drivers on both pc's

other than that i dont know what to suggest

thanks