Java switchless installation problem

saitoh183

Don't ask me. Many software developer's do not think thing's through. Take Nero 7, it install's nero scout with every program, when only one program can use it.

Ok i dont ask it you :lol:

but thanks for all your help :thumbup i see you somewhere at the forum

greetz

Edited by SolidasRock

Could imagine the system that had all of these threads running in the background like the java updater? Each of them taking upwards of 2MB a piece. I swear my desktop with 2GB of RAM would get swamped before long if I let all that crap run.

• 2 weeks later...
because most people don't use it and it eat's a huge hunk of memory and some bandwith and dosn't do much.

i have give the orginal non-silented java.exe a try.

i dont see any "javaupdate.exe" (dont know the exactly name of it) eaten up my memory, also when entering configscreen>java>update> you will see it is set at "monthly check at updates".

i have a question: if i add mozilla to the commandline you give me and dont install mozilla (i usually dont), give it me trouble?

java.msi /qb-! Custom=1 AddLocal=ALL IExplorer=1 Mozilla=1 Javaupdate=1 Reboot=Suppress

Edited by SolidasRock

@solidas, if you run taskmanager, you'll notice a process called jusched, that is the update function, and it runs all the time regardless of the time update set.

Also if you go to this site:

http://java.com/en/download/help/silent_install.xml

It gives an explanation of what switches to use.

They only seem to work with the .exe not with the extracted .msi file though - at least i can't get them to work with the msi

@solidas, if you run taskmanager, you'll notice a process called jusched, that is the update function, and it runs all the time regardless of the time update set.

Also if you go to this site:

http://java.com/en/download/help/silent_install.xml

It gives an explanation of what switches to use.

They only seem to work with the .exe not with the extracted .msi file though - at least i can't get them to work with the msi

ah i see; the jusched eat 2 MB, that is huge and i am sure it can be lower.

but i dont care, my total used MB is 217 MB, i am not happy when used 215 MB, however... the information at that link is probally only for the 1.4.2. which is very old.

if you use 1.5.0.5 the switches given by keytotime works fine.... (have already tested it)

but again: would the switch mozilla=1 give me problems if i dont install mozilla?

Edited by SolidasRock

no it shouldn't give any issues if use the mozilla=1 switch as well

[edit]

you say the iexplorer=1 works.

Can you just check for me please and clcik control panel | java | Advanced | open <APPLETT> support and o you have a tick against IE?

If no then the switch i don't think worked, if yes then i've no idea what i'm doing wrong as use teh same switches

[/edit]

Edited by oioldman

no it shouldn't give any issues if use the mozilla=1 switch as well

[edit]

you say the iexplorer=1 works.

Can you just check for me please and clcik control panel | java | Advanced | open <APPLETT> support and o you have a tick against IE?

If no then the switch i don't think worked, if yes then i've no idea what i'm doing wrong as use teh same switches

[/edit]

see the pic

i downloaded the file from java themself and it is a offline installer (15,6 MB) called:

jre-1_5_0_05-windows-i586-p.exe

i exctracted it with the /a switch.... you will get a msi and 2 maps called "program files" and "common", place them in (for example) in "SunJava" map...

i install it with WPI by the next commandline:

cmd1[pn]=['%CDROM%\\Install\\SunJava\\JRE5.0.5.msi /qb-! Custom=1 AddLocal=ALL IExplorer=1 Javaupdate=1 Reboot=Suppress']

Edited by SolidasRock

• 2 weeks later...

New Sun Java release ... Update 6

Download

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Begin the install and get the MSI file in C:\Windows\Installer (it's generated file about 11mb ...) or use /a switch (see past post by SolidasRock)

After same way for other .msi use /qb switch and/or custom switchs to tune the installation (see again past post)