Windows XP wont Detect DVD\CD Drive?

Andy_

I Recently bought a NEC 4550A DVD\CD Drive OEM so didnt recieve any software or drivers..

Im running a dual boot system... 1 operating system for general use with internet, anti virus, office etc... and the other o\s for DAW (digital audio workstation) with no internet or anything else that can drain resources.

The NEC 4550A works perfect in the 1st operating system with internet access, i just plugged it in, powered up and the computer reconised it.

But with my 2nd operating system the DVD\CD Drive does not show up in "my computer" or "drive managment"

I was just wondering if anyone on here could help me to get it working?

Im not sure why it hasnt been reconised by windows this time and can only assume its because i have no internet on that O\S?

Will i need a driver? if so where can i find one? as the NEC website doesnt seem to have it

please help? this is driving me mad! :realmad:

Thanks

The operating system for both is windows xp service pack 1.

In device manager on my 2nd o\s it doesnt list my dvd drive as being there at all, ive tryed "add new hardware" and it doesnt find anything.

There must be a way to transfer the settings or whatever it needs from the working system?

Edited by Andy_

If the burner is detected in 1 system and not the other, it probably is a config issue in that non working OS, so....

1. Disable and stop MS's IMAPI CD burning service.

2. Install a new ASPI ForceASPI 1.8

Reboot

If it is still undetected, then open regedit and navigate to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Completely delete the 2 entries called "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters". Next, open device manager and go to Action-->Scan for Hardware changes.

You should now see your CD/DVD/ drives. If not, then run this Show Drives in Explorer Fix and reboot.

Post the results if this doesn't work. There is more to try, but it could be lengthily.

Just a quick question... How do i actually install ASPI ForceASPI 1.8?

theres a load of different files in the zip folder but which ones should i use and where do i put them?

also... ive had a look at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

and i havent got 2 entries called "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters"

this is a list of the entries i have in there.

Default REG_SZ DVD/CD-ROM Drives

Class REG_SZ CDROM

EnumPropPages32 REG_SZ MmSys.Cpl,MediaPropPageProvider

Icon REG_SZ -51

Installer32 REG_SZ Storprop.dll,DvdClassInstaller

NoInstallClass REG_SZ 1

SilentInstall REG_SZ 1

Troubleshooter-0 REG_SZ hcp://help/tshoot/tsdrive.htm

To install ForceASPI, just run installaspi.bat and restart. The filters should pop up in the reg. afterwards, but don't worry about them since a misconfiguration (not the absence of them) would be the only reason to delete them.

Have you installed underlying drivers for your mobo (VIA_Hyperion 4IN, Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility, etc)? If not, d/l them and install then reboot.

Also you can try....

Delete the Secondary IDE controller (I hope your drive is on the secondary....) in device manager and reboot so XP can re-detect the channel and reinstall the devices.

Or, unplug the cable to the drive and turn on the computer. Let windows fully load and then turn off the computer. Reattach the drive and boot the computer again. With luck windows will re detect it.

In the bios, or during initial boot, does your drive appear? (I would think it would since the other OS sees it, but just to rule everything out....)

You can also try to 'reset configuration data' in the BIOS.